I am having the same pain right now as i reply to your post!! they say it can be from the gallbladder. I am on my way to get it checked out right now.

Wow everyone. I have to say this is sad that the medical community cannot come up with answers. I too have struggled with this for many yrs. I have had every test available to my chest and stomach. I do have a stomach ulcer however I feel the ulcer is a symptom not the reason. The pains have gotten worse from yr to yr and now they are continuous with extreme vomiting. They say the reason is stress, I left a less stressful job to help this but still everything is getting extremely worse. If there is someone out there that can come up with answers I would love to hear

I have been looking online for months trying to find other people with this pain! My last attack of the pain was 6am yesterday it woke me up and i was moaning and crying loud woke kids up. Anyway it happens to me alot i hate it i cry so much i hope i dont get it this morning as i have no painkillers left o swear its worse than labour its a pain i cant describe its just awful i to end up being sick during the pain attack its horrible im scared going doctors incase they blame my weight i am very obese :-( i wish it would leave me alone i hate it xx

I am so glad not to be alone in this situation. I have similar pain throughout the ribs and sternum. It is worse in the morning, then may go away after lunch or when I am in flare-ups, it can last for days. I also have had every test in the doctor's manual and everything is normal, except my liver has been diagnosed as "fatty." I'm 61, 50# overweight and exercise daily walking or bike riding or swimming. This started 4.5 years ago and has steadily increased, along with the stress in my life. My bp goes up, when pain arises and now am on medication for that! It doesn't help to stop the palpitations when the pain is severe. There are days I can't work now. I was diagnosed with costracondritis years ago and do have some arthritis in my spine, having lost 2" in height from beginning scoliosis and a spine injury from 30 years ago, falling off a horse.

So I started studying Traditional Chinese Medicine, to see how the organs and energy of the body work together. It makes a lot of sense to me, how the overall condition of my body over the years has brought me to this place of apparent constant inflammation. I started at the chiropractor this week and I start acupuncture also. Having a pulse & tongue diagnosis does give me a more complete picture of my health plus I get the weaknesses energized by the needles unblocking the electricity of the body. Also thermography and another test by the chiro have shown me where my central nervous system is putting out weak signal. My pain syndrome has been described as being more severe than my body analysis shows. Welcome to the effects of the stress in my life - my mother-in-law moving in with us and the disappearance of my massage therapy career for the past year. So I've got some work to do to find a therapy, like meditation and Reiki, that will settle me down.

Thanks for listening and responding and sharing. Pain can truly warp my mind into tears and tearing into my husband, who has been a saint, I tell ya.

Well I have read all the replies and I see myself in some but not all. Here is a list of my symptoms.

- I have severe chest pain (in the sternum area)

- They first lasted 30 min.. no can last 1 - 3hours

- They come at any time (once in the middle of the night)

- Got xrays and tests - nothing came of it

- I feel like I either have to use the restroom or puke.

- I end up throwing up everything Ive ate

- and then usually the last time I throw up its VERY acidity

The first time I experienced these.  I whaled around cryed, screamed, rolled, tossed turned and nothing helped.

Through the years I have found if I sit very still and control my breathing it hurts alot less.

I still havent a clue what is going on with me. Hope this can help someone.

-

It may be costochondritis. Go to reliable sites like Mayo Clinic or Webmd to do some reading. Hope this helps.

I have had much success in diminishing the amount and frequency of the pain in my ribs and sternum.

To review, I have had every test imaginable, from top to bottom / checking organs and bones. Nothing showed up.

I have studied with Liz Koch, Core Awareness for self bodywork / changed my diet and added supplements / got NeuroModulation Therapy / and joined the gym.

If you want details, send me your email. These mysterious ailments can disappear.

OMG I am going through the same exact thing. I too was involved in a serious car accident. I had serious chest contusions from the accident and since have been having this excruciating pain in the breastbone area mimicing a heart attack. My doctor had me rushed to the ER, because she thought for sure that I washaving a heart attack and it was not my heart. I have had this pain again for 3 days and am going to the dr today. I am going to bring up Costochondritis.

Alongside the testing and opinion of the doctor, you might look into a massage therapist who is additionally trained in myofascial release, structural integration or anatomy trains. Fascia gets twisted up when body parts get injured. While broken bones, torn ligaments and muscular strains are diagnosable, the one thing they all have in common is that they are surrounded by fascia, that needs to be "ironed" out. When one part of the body is in pain, the actual location of injury may be a distance - which is my case. A twist in the spine, pelvis or even ankle injuries can radiate up through midline of front of body. I am both licensed MT and former phys.ed. teacher.

When I described this same pain to my doctor, he diagnosed it as costochondritis. It is due to inflammation where the ribs and cartilage join to the sternum, or it can also be an infection. My doctor gave me a very simple recommendation...don't wear underwire bras. The wire in the bra can cause the inflammation. He recommended no bra at all for about 6 weeks (if possible), and then no underwires after that. It can also be exacerbated by any movements that strain the upper body, even simply from picking up something heavy, or reaching for that can all the way up on the top shelf of the cabinet. Tonight I had another episode of this severe chest pain that woke me from sleep (it always seems to hurt more when I am lying down). Probably because I wore an underwire bra all day yesterday. You'd think I would have learned not to do that any more, even for one day...

I thought I was crazy. I've always called it "the crushing". Hot, tender spot just under my sternum... crushing feeling on my lungs... intense sharp, burning cramping there.... it doesn't help when you stretch, curl into a ball, beg it to stop, fall to your knees, put your arms above your head, cry, beg again, breathe fast, breathe slow, hold your breath. 

Afterward, there comes the profuse sweating, lightheadedness, baffling tingling of the arms and hands, and invariably the nausea. 

I have a moderately healed compression fracture of my 3rd thoracic vertebrae and Crohn's. I also had my gall bladder out six years ago. I've done endless searches on this phenomenon. I never knew how to describe it without doctors thinking I was drug-seeking. Every test known to mankind... myriad doctors... I was told it was acid reflux. Have you ever wanted to vault over a doctor's desk and throttle him? I mean a really meaningful throttle?

I'm not alone. That's fabulous. I just wish someone could tell me how to prevent them, because it really feels like I'm dying when it happens. 

two options I see here - seek a massage therapist who does structural integration so she can evaluate your musculoskeletal condition - docs don't know what to do with our body structure.

and the second is to seek an energy medicine person, an intuitive to follow the trail of your discontent.
here are 2 websites of such people:

***post is edited by moderator ***  web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

when allopathic medicine cannot help, alternative medicine steps in and empowers you with the ability to heal up what ails ya!

good luck!

I too have fibromyalgia and have been getting these same attacks they started about 4 years ago, when they did happen they would last like yours for about an hour, of horrible pain like someone is twisting a butchers knife in the sternum area. My attacks has become for frequent and last longer. I have one now that has been going on for 24 hours, i dont know what to do

Please find yourself a massage therapist who does myofascial release, structural integration or therapeutic massage.

Many docs don't have the knowledge nor suggestions about musculoskeletal pain.

Such spasming as your experience can be relieved by touch.

go to gastroenderologist and get egd yo check for ulcer or hiatal hernia!!!!