You might get your thyroid checked. My thyroid made me extremely anemic. I now take armour thyroid. Not perfect, but it really made a difference to how I feel. Make sure to also read Mary Shomon's information on this on the web. It saved me.

Ask God to give you His Heavenly Iron, Ferritin & Haemoglobin. He's GOD so He's the only one who can help you NOW.!! Believe me it worked for me .I was the same as you. I'm ok now. Don't bother with blood tests. Just eat Iron rich foods. Dont smoke,drink alcohol caffeine or do drugs.I'm Gluten And Lactose free, and on the FODMAPS diet. I dont take any pills, have great energy,And have no pain in my body.I just TRUST in the Lord and He takes care of me.God bless you and I will pray for you. Rose Kailis

Hi. I hope things are going better for you :) My skin reactions sound very familiar to yours. I'm 44 and I've had iron-deficiency anemia for years (ferritin was at 4). My dr. put me on Feramax (2x per day) about 4 years ago. Since then I've been battling with increased sun sensitivity (to the point where I can't go outside when it's cloudy unless my face is covered up) and hives (arms, face, back & chest). I've had eczema all my life (but never in my face or a sun sensitivity), so hard to diagnose sometimes. I also look as though I've been in the sun for days. Sometimes my entire face swells up. My tests for lupus were negative. Last week I had a stomach flu and after didn't feel like taking iron after. I've been off of Feramax for a week and my rash and face burning have completely cleared up. Now I'll see what happens if I stay off it for awhile longer. I've increased my iron intake naturally too (lots of kale in smoothies, etc.) I'll check my iron levels again soon. Hope you get this post. Take care.

HI , maybe you can try to drink goat's milk. it may help. :) i have 1 customer with iron allergy and she has low hb and she is pregnant. after drinking goat's milk for sometimes her HB begin to increase and becoming normal.

My father was prescribed iron and took it for four days, he is sick as a dog. It has been three days now and I would like to know how long does it take to feel better after stopping the supplements?

I have also had my blood tested and shown to be mildly anemic. I was recommended to take iron supplements and quickly started getting an itchy rash around my neck. Is there a type of iron supplement that might cause this or should I just stop taking iron? I ate oysters and other food sources rich in iron and did not have a reaction.

Hi I'm the same I've had to have blood transfusion no alternative dr has just prescribed sodium cromoglicate they are for food allergy to see if I can tolerate more foods especially ones with iron in my heamoglobin is 11 atm and ferritin is 8 but dropping fast u not alone I burn from inside out and my groin is in agony iron infusion caused severe joint pain and I had bad pain in chest it worrys me a lot

hi,
is your skin still sensitive to the sun.
This same reaction happened to me, after taking fermax for 3 days, 2 per day.

I get swollen lips, tongue and they turn a weird blue color shortly after taking iron supplements. I too am anemic severely and do not absorb iron in my intestines. My hair has fallen out and i am so tired, forgetful and yucky that I struggle to work 9 hours and take care of my family.

Your blood levels increase tremendously when you are pregnant. My iron deficiency went away while pregnant and I felt the best in my life while pregnant. Don't avoid pregnancy because of anemia. It's after pregnancy that can cause more anemia due to blood loss. Children are amazing and there are ways to get your iron up so see if prenatal a help and don't be fearful.

Just out of curiosity, what is your blood type. I'm interested to know if this is more common among one type than another or if negative blood types are an influencing factor. I'm negative AB.

My daughter has an iron allergy. She took iron supplements and then had contact dermatitis on her scalp, hands and shoulders. We found a post from someone who took man-made or synthetic iron - They are polysaccharide-iron complex. The name is Poyl-Iron 150 Capsules. Our pharmacy carries them and they are not prescription. We did have to ask and they were behind the counter. She took them for 3 months with no reaction, and she was able to get her iron levels back to normal.

I have found that when my body isn't absorbing enough iron, I actually need to eat more foods with copper. Copper and iron work together, and copper deficiency will make it difficult for your body absorb the iron it needs. I usually eat raw walnuts, but there are other copper rich foods. For me, it makes a big difference in my energy levels.

So what do you do? What you spoke of sounds like me!

Magnesium advocacy group have helped many with iron anaemia get up to good levels by taking magnesium and its cofactors and an adrenal cocktail and getting cerulluplasmin levels higher which store copper and iron as bioavaiable minerals delivered to cells.