I am 22 and I have had irregular periods for as long as I can remember. I didn’t even start my period until I was 17. In the past I have gone as long as a year without getting my period. I have taken birth control sporadically for the past 3 years but I am not currently on birth control. In December 2008 I had surgery to remove a large cyst from my left ovary. Since then I have been getting my period regularly about every 35 days.

My period in June was due on June 19th (based on a 35 day cycle). I started spotting pinkish brown discharge on June 10th which was day 26 of my cycle. I thought maybe I was pregnant but as of June 16th the HPT is still negative. I then thought I was starting my period early or that it may be getting closer to a regular 28 day cycle. I continued to have this brown discharge for 6 days. On June 17th it was very dark brown. Then on the 18th I had normal period bleeding in the morning but almost no bleeding at night. The same thing happened on the 19th and 20th. I had brown discharge again on the 21st and now the 22nd I have very minimal pinkish brown discharge.

I have never had this sort of spotting or anything. My periods usually start out heavy and then taper off over about 4 days. I also have cramps, lower back pain, slight occasional nausea, and breast tenderness. I would think that I was pregnant if I hadn’t been spotting and bleeding off and on for the last 2 weeks. I do not have any STD’s as I have been with the same man for over a year and we have both been tested regularly. We have been having sex almost daily without protection for about 6 weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this type of bleeding and if so what caused it? I would not be concerned except that I am still experiencing the cramping, breast tenderness, etc. PLEASE HELP.

Hi kelly. Based on your current symptoms, that is known as implantation spotting. I get the feeling that you could possibly be pregnant since you have been off birth control and you aren't using protection and you have missed your period. PLus you are exhibiting typical pregnancy symptoms. Have you taken a test yet? It might be a good idea to do so. Let us know how it turns out, okay?

When I first started having the spotting before my period was due the first thing that I thought was that it could possibly be implantation bleeding. I have taken several home pregnancy tests. The last test was on June 16th and it was negative. I had light spotting for 7 days and then 3 days of normal bleeding and then 2 more days of spotting. All of the bleeding has completely stopped now. But I continue to have cramps and breast tenderness. That's what is confusing me. If it was implantation bleeding it should have only been a few days and I shouldn't have had 3 days of normal bleeding. I have never had spotting in my entire life or bleeding that lasted more than a few days.

Thanks for the reply. I will take another test tomorrow morning just to make sure. I am just tired of wasting my money on those things. %-)