My friend is 33 years old and he ahs been suffering from depression lately. But I guess no one thought his condition is something serious, so we were all shocked when we heard of his suicide attempt. How to understand something like that? Even though life is full of problems, I always thought that the self preservation instinct is one of the strongest in all of us. How could this happen?

Because of his mental issues, that instinct you have mentioned has been subdued to the point where suicide was a quite acceptable idea and it takes only few steps from idea to realization. As for understanding, I guess you should really understand the condition your friend suffers from. It is also possible that he did not take his therapy regularly, if at all, because meds are helping by controlling those dangerous thoughts. I guess you should talk to him and offer your support and help.

HI i latel ive been suffering from GAD AND depresssion. Its very frustrated when meds arent working and doctors , friends and family cannot understand what u really feel inside.!!!!

I Deeply understand your friend cause when u are really depressed u start to hate life everything boring, everything and everyday u feel it the same although for other people its and adventure!!! . For depressed people its totally contrary. Our brains will produce lack of serotonin to our nerve cells and that causes our mood to change dramatically.

You cannot enjoy life as used to be . you will look towards life in different dimension. I feel very sorry for these people like ure friend.

Take care and bless from malta