Last night I went out for a run in the cold, cold antarctic (Minnesota) winds. It's been hovering around 0 degrees fahrenheit here in the evenings when I run with windchill. I've only been doing this for a few months, but I've found that I just don't like to run inside on the treadmill. In fact, I tried the treadmill last friday and couldn't even run my full time cause it was so hot and humid (from what I'm used to) that I couldn't breathe and was pouring sweat, even with a fan full blast blowing on me.

So I'm running in the park that I run, all bundled up, vaseline on my face (just tried this one for the first time :) ) , cursing the cold wind every time I face into it, wondering if it's really worth it. Do I really want to continue freezing my arse off doing this? There are other things I could do to stay fit. Things indoors even!

Well, as you know, once I got past the first 10 or 15 minutes it wasn't too bad so I started feeling better about the run and everything, but just ok. Then near the end I saw the only other brave soul out there, a gentleman who is out there every night to walk his dog. We've always waved when we saw each other, but nothing more than that. Just friendly strangers exchanging greetings in passing.

Well last night he yells out to me as I pass: "I really admire your dedication!" Not much, but it totally made my day. Got me thinking about all of those who don't make the effort, about myself before I started running.

It's been a long, long time since anyone told me they admired me for anything. Yes. It's worth it.

Now please warm up soon Mother Nature. It's fricking freezing outside!!!!!

Rubberlegs, I was with ya last night albeit on the other side of the mississippi. My thoughs were very similiar last night, 14 degrees with a wind chill of 0 is just way too cold for a normal person to want to be outside, but then no one ever accused me of being normal.

Hang in there pal, you're not alone.

The hardest part about running in the winter is getting dressed and getting started. Once that is done it is easy. It is easy to not go when there is all the prep needed to go out and when you get out it is windy. Really it is about dedication. Nice job

You go, rubberlegs!!! It is absolutely worth it! Pile on another glop of vaseline and keep on truckin! :)

Another example of what it is to be a real runner.....;)

It lets you know you're alive!

It lets you know you're alive!
I agree. Nothing like a good harsh-weather workout to let you know you're alive. Just think of how easy the regular weather runs will be.

It lets you know you're alive!
I agree. Nothing like a good harsh-weather workout to let you know you're alive. Just think of how easy the regular weather runs will be. Definitely! And I'd take running in sub-zero temps over 90 degree heat in a NY minute.

It lets you know you're alive!

I agree. Nothing like a good harsh-weather workout to let you know you're alive. Just think of how easy the regular weather runs will be. That is what I keep telling myself. On days where it has be relatively nice, I see a huge difference. What doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger...

That is what I keep telling myself. On days where it has be relatively nice, I see a huge difference. What doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger... :1: The blast of cold air is tough at first. I dress good for the cold so after a couple of minutes I am fine. I love the look on people's faces when they see me out there running (once in a while I see someone at 430 in the morning). I have had more than one person say to me I am nuts.

I used to be right there with you Rubberlegs. Snow, wind, dark, minus 20o, windchill another 20-30 degrees below that, (I lived in South Dakota for 2 years!) but not no more! I am so not into cold weather any more I can't stand it! My family calls me a Florida-wuss and has almost disowned me. :(
But, it is nice when we're out there doing what we love (like, put up with, obsess over, etc.) and someone notices and gives us a little thumbs up.
Good job to you Rubberlegs for being out there in the nasty stuff! :thumbsup: And keep up the good work!

RL, We're gonna hook up for the Superbowl 5km, right? I've gotta guess it'll be a small crowd, we should clean up the awards

I've never tried the vaseline. I wear a neoprene facemask which keeps my face from getting windburn. Also, I probably err on the side of wearing too much. I'd rather get hot and soak with sweat than be dry but cold.

I'm sure I've gotten "soft" over the years. Mostly, I run at noontime when the temps are usually over 10. And I mix up my winter, so I can get outside when the nicest temps come around. Right now I'm in a groove of each week having 2 runs outside, 2 runs on the treadmill, and 2 days of cross-training. Seems to work real well for my sanity. Running in the evenings when it's dark and subzero does take dedication. Keep it up!

i'm glad to hear someone else sweats like a muffin on the treadmill in the winter too. i turn off the furnace, put the ceiling fan on, open the windows (snow sometimes blows in across the mill) and it is still uncomfortable to me.

i think running in cold temps is well worth it -- does anyone else imagine that they are burning more energy when it is so cold?? seems it takes a bit more calories to hoof around in single digits than when it is 40... just another rationalization maybe

Definitely! And I'd take running in sub-zero temps over 90 degree heat in a NY minute.
BIG FAT ICICLE-CRUSTED 1!!!!

Absolutely! I was going to send you a private message about this sometime this week, but i've been awfully busy! (cruising the message boards )

The answer is yes.

With the exception of those that have issues with breathing and cold temps, most folks should look at the adventure side of their winter running.

With the right amount of layers these winter runs are some of the best runs to have IMHO.

I wear all the high tech fabrics and there's nothing like seeing condensation forming on your arm or at the top of your head on a run.

I can't do the indoor running thing as I find it boring and need my nature fix.

Besides there's noting like a run in the snow to awaken your inner child. :)

M