I'm 35 yr old & had a laposcopic tubal ligation 8 1/2 years ago. This past week I have been extremely nauseous/vomiting, bloated, headaches & tired. I have also been experience some pain in my lower abdomen. I had a period the end of July -  the 1st day was extremely heavy, but after that it was almost non-existant. I cannot get over the nausea and nothing seems to help it. What are the chances that I'm pregnant?

Hi Cissy,

It would be very unlikely, but not impossible, for you to become pregnant after a tubal ligation.  Your symptoms aren't specific enough.  You could have a virus or other illness.

You could always take a home test if you'd like.

If you don't improve in a few days see your doctor.

Hello cissyh, 

I have to agree with medic-dan here: even though it’s not completely impossible for you to get pregnant, without a pregnancy test it’s hard for any of us to say for sure just based on these signs because they happen because of various hormonal changes, as well. So, definitely, take the test.

Still, if it helps at least a bit, pregnancy is not out of the question because, depending of the method used to do tubal ligation, fallopian tubes can sometimes heal back so the egg can be fertilized. But, there are various other reasons as to why your period might be missing and still the best option is to see a gynecologist, for a checkup, if nothing else.