I've been in a relationship for 10 months with a man who has bipolar disorder. He is very sweet and loving for the most part. He has suffered with bipolar since his teenage years and is now 45 years old. When we first met he told me about the disorder but is was contolled. For the past couple of months I have watched him go down hill. He is getting where he doesn't call as often or even want to spend time with me. I'm not the only one getting pushed away, he has 3 children he adores that are being put on the back burner. He is seeking medical attention, but things are still declining. I know he loves me and when I bring up giving him distance he says this will make him worse, but this is making me exhausted! I know if he would not have had a relapse we would have a wonderful life together. I'm 30 and have never been with someone with bipolar. Any advice to guide me would be greatly appreciated!

i dont have much experience..i've been in a relationship for about a month with a girl that is bipolar...but i think it is most definitely worth it. Its so hard I know..i've already experienced the feeling of helplessness in doing everything humanly possible to make her happy and having none of it work and then the next day she's fine. it is exhausting. its hard. its a real test of love i guess because i've had moments where i just want to give up but i cant because i am in love with this girl..i guess where i'm going with this is in my situation it takes a whole lot out of me but gives me back a whole lot more. and no matter how hard this is on me i cant even imagine how hard it is on her..so patience and understanding are key. and most of all love is key. if you love him you can do it. when you get frustrated just take a step back and realize how much you love him and remember that bipolar disorder is an illness he cant control and just approach it with patience and understanding and just love him..even if he's pushing you away and acting like he doesnt want it. just hold him till the storm quiets.

My relationship of 3 years with a man who is BP just ended.  It was the most painful experience I have ever endured.  He just walked out of my life saying "we just dont fit".  My Son 13 looked to him as the most positive role model he had ever had.  He too is hurt.  My son and I lived our lives tip toeing around to keep things "in the lines".  We had to try to be perfect.  It was hopeless, he would still find something to get mad about.  His exhaustion and mood swings were impossible.  I hurts like hell.  I told myself 2.5 years ago, this could be a painful life...it has been.  My advice for success, and I honestly believe this is the only way to be have a successful realtionship with someone with BP is: 1) they must be closely monitored by their psychiaritrist to adjust meds...one med doesnt do it, 2) they need counseling, so do you 3) they need to be close to God, there is an element of evil in this illness 4) they have to acknowldge about BP and be willing to work with you.  My guy was in denial, not that he was BP...he denied the effects it had on our lives...Be careful

im having same problem with my partner luckily he has no children but i have from a past realtionship ,, when things are good there brilliant but today hes changed saying he dunt want us anymore even though saying he loves me and dosnt no how hes guna get trough each day with out me ??? he just confuses me to point i cry as just dont no if this is him saying it or the illness pushing me away x

im just going trough same now and finding it hard just got up and left feeling in limbo