Hi! My boyfriend and I have been best friends for 4+ years. We recently got together and our relationship lasted about 3 months because we did long distance and he also has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He was the best. He treated me like a princess, complimented me every day, made sure I was emotionally stable, was affectionate, loving, warm-hearted, everything I could ever dream of. Before our break, he was having suicidal thoughts and wanted to get help but he didn't want to let me go. A few days later we both decided it'd be best if we took a break to find himself and get better until he came back home and see where things go. That break would last 1.5 months and he would message me once ever 2-3 weeks or so just to check up and have small conversations. The last week, before we met up again, he became oddly cold and gave short one-worded answers. It was strange but I thought nothing of it, I just thought it was him being depressed or anxious. So the night before we met up, he was being cold again and I asked him why. He said he'd rather talk about it in person so me, being the anxious over-thinker, I jumped to conclusions and asked if he was going to break up with me and he said yes. I was devastated because I had waited 1.5 months, planning our future and having high hopes that we'd get back together and things will be fine again, and then I was just broken up with????? He then explained that he HAS to break up with me and forced himself to push away from me because i """deserve better"" and hes going to a psychiatrist to get treated for his bipolar disorder.  I understand he needs help because the past few months, i've been pushing him to seek help and become better and emotionally stable while I stayed by his side and supported him. I never judged him for his disorder, I never thought less of him or spoke up about our relationship problems with our friends (which is why im writing this anonymously lol) so i understand that he needs to find himself, get better, be by himself. I dont know if it's because i'm selfish and my thoughts are clouded by love and emotions, but I never thought he'd BREAK UP with me officially. I thought we'd always be on a break and sometime come back together. I dont know what to do!! Someone please relate and help me. I DO want him to get better and i understand that he needs to get his mental health under control before things get worse, but I just want to be with him :'( I suffer with depression and anxiety as well but its not as severe as his conditions. I'm sorry for being selfish but I asked him if I should wait for him until he gets better, hoping that our paths will cross again, and he said maybe. He said hes 100% open to the idea of MAYBE getting back together in the future. He doesnt want me to wait for him because he said its not fair for the both of us. I dont understand, Im confused and sad and frustrated and I miss him so much. I feel like I lost my best friend and lover. He was the best and I want him back so badly. I just want to support him and show him that he's important and special. Idk, im confused and hurting. If someone out there has advice or a similar experience, please let me know ASAP. Thank you x much love to those suffering from mental health or in a long distance relationship. 

I can relate to this to much. I started dating a very good friend of mine of over 25 years and was a long distance relationship. She also has a chronic illness and at the time i did not know she was diagnosed Bipolar. I fell hard and fast and want to take care of her and just knew she was the one. Everything went great for months and both said we loved each other until seemed almost overnight she cut me off when she was about to start and important treatment. She stopped answering me and wouldnt even answer when i asked how she was. She said she needed space so i did but also wanted to learn more of what was going on so did all the research i could on her illness and let her know. She got pissed i contacted her about it and went farther away. When treatment started i asked how it went and she answered and said went good so i answered short and said great. I asked just once a week for next month and she wouldnt answer me. I got worried and did all i could to find out if she was OK but she got really mad at me for it saying i was obsessed with her and to go away there was nothing left for me there. When all i was doing was trying to find out if the girl i loved was OK. So i backed off but will still check on her and telling her i loved her and was here for her. I tried for about 7-8 months and she never answered me. I heard a close friend had passed away so i emailed her my condolences and was here if she needed me. Next thing i know i get a court order saying i was harassing her and she was worried id show up at the funeral. Which was 1000+ miles away and i just said sorry to hear about so and so. In the report she made up several lies which hurt beyond belief. One was bad. I found out a few months before that she had been diagnosed Bipolar. So i left her alone and sent one last email saying i forgive her for what she said and i was still here if she needed me. I highly doubt ill ever see or hear from her again someone ive known for 25+ years and love dearly. She never told me about her being Bipolar and maybe it would have helped me handle the situation. Most friends say run and dont look back she is doing you a favor but i still want to help and be there for her. Its not easy to forget someone you had and have such strong feelings for and had been such a good friend.