hi im 27 yrs old ive been with my boyfriend for 6 years, we have a 3 yr old little boy who adores him, but every few months he descides he dose not want to be with me and a family is not what he wants and that he wants to live his life but we hold him back, he was diognosed with bipolar a few years ago and was given treatment but refused to take it. since xmas we had been great everything seemed like it was started to look up then last week he left me again out of the blue, he came to pick our son up on sunday and told me he was seeing someone els but then today text me saying that there just friends and that it isnt anything sexual because he does not want to. he says he loves me but we are better off apart. i dont no what to do this is becoming such a regular thing i dont no if i should believe he really does want to give up on our relationship or if its just another episode he is having. ive stuck by him through more than you can imagine eg: drugs , gambling , lies and cheating i just dont no how much more i can take of being picked up and put down when it suits him i love him to bits i really do but if he isnt going to take his meds and keeps walking away from me and our son should i really stick around ??? %-) ?

Well, if not for the sake of your sanity then for the sake of your son, next time he wants to get back together, tell him he must go through treatment and become stable before you two can get back together. It is not so good for your son mentally. Young children can sense stress. Also, the older he gets, the more he will understand.

Also, I would think about obtaining full custody of your son. That may also motivate him to enter treatment.

I may not have bipolar, but I do have depression. I have been on and off meds so quickly in the beginning that I did experience signs of bipolar. It is scary for the people around to see the changing behaviors. Again, not very good for your son to be around.

This is just my opinion. I do not know you or him, so I cannot be sure as to the best thing for you to do. Just keep your son in mind.

Good luck with your decisions. Best Wishes!

I just read these post and immediately was drawn because I am well- I was in a relationship with a guy who is also bipolar and does not seek treatment. I have been inlove with this guy for almost 2years and we began to become bestfriends as time went by. Back in nov. 2010 i told him I was falling inlove with him and he seemed distant and all of a sudden he was gonw for two months..out of no where in jan.2011 he popped back in like he'd never left out my life telling me he love me and just needed to think about things. we were good went and got matching tattoos and he went from in love to not wanting to be here, to hot, to cold. making plans and promises then breaking them and not keeping plans..and here and gone and I had a heck of a ride emotionally that I started to doubt myself and hurt my own heart. is it worth the constant roller coaster because we will not be able to help them no matter how much we love them! I am still inlove with him he said he ready for our life together now and he came back with so many plans of moving to our own and being a family, im even pregnant now- and then 4days later on mothers day he left!! he just got dressed and left me said he wasnt gon change and its not like he planned it, and he dnt know whats wrong with him and he got quiet, wouldnt ask questions, seemed numb to the fact im in tears and myt heart breaking literally. I completely lost it and slapped him. I was just stuck like who is this person? and why was he doing this to me? he left and text me a couple minutes later but i was so hurt I deleted them not ever reading them. its been 11days now and while i sat here beating myself up inside about how stupid I am- I had almost forgot he is bipolar! untreated and refuse to face facts.. so how can i blame or be mad at him when he cant even control himself..my point is it wasnt til i read this post that made me stop crying and face this is not my fault and I have to find a way to heal me, just as I hope you will heal you and put ur son first because dealing with a person with this mental illness is a strain all by itself and you can end up destroying urself! because I have! I lost my drive, my will, my spirit and my faith. and now I sit here stuck in this dilema to have this baby or not and how to deal with the fact he actually left me in this situation and still saying nothing to me as if he never met me, it sucks and it hurts and I know I can not give advice because I need advice to. all I can say is stay true to yourself because if you lose you then what do our kids have?

I am lonelyheart78 idk what happened just now..

Hey,
I have Bi- Polar disorder. I don't act this way. This guy sounds like he is taking the piss out of you and your son. Do you want this to happen while your son is growing older? So he thinks that he can do this to the woman that he marries and has kids with? You need to leave this guy, arrange visitation for your son and stop him from taking advantage of you because he has a mental illness. I love my boyfriend and he is the only thing that makes my illness better because every time I feel like life isn't worthwhile I just look at him and everything falls back into place. This guy doesn't love you and sure as hell doesn't respect you. It sounds like every now and then he wants to cheat on you, so he breaks up with you, sleeps with some s**ts and then comes back to you when he's got it out of his system. 
I would not put up with that, especially if this guy was the father of my child. Leave this guy so that your son can have a stable upbringing. Do you want him telling people about this in the future? At least if you end it now, he won't remember anything about it.

Take care and stay strong.
love Jade

sounds to familiar I have a 2 year old and im 27 weeks pregnant with our second child, my boyfriend too is bi polar he will not take any meds for it, and he adores his little girl but its so hard on me. i love him but the extreme highs and the lows are so hard to deal with. and its so easy for everyone to say leave him but they aren't in our shoes with kids.

I think you should ask your boyfriend to undergo treatment if he really loves you and your son.There are chances that he might be dating somebody else as bipolar causes changes in mood and energy level and not thoughts.Just check if there are any changes in his behavior after the treatment is started and then take a sensible decision.

It is because he is not on the right medication and not in treatment. Just because someone says they have bipolar and doesnt act this way means nothing, because everyone is different and their is all different stages of it. I have bipolar stage 1 and I am in the same boat. But its because I am not in therapy or on the right meds. I left my boyfriend a week ago because I relapsed and pick up all my stuff and moved back to my parents house and wish to god I never did it! He needs to get put on medication and therapy. The wiring in his brain is not right!