I am wondering if my daughter has a nickel allergy. I have a severe case of it. She had a dental appliance put in in August and has since had non stop stomach pain and severe loss of wieght. I just found out the appliance has nickel - do you think this would be the cause of her pain? There is no real dermatitis that I have noticed.

I also have these symptoms with hand eczema and I follow a very healthy diet, but I notice most of the things I eat are on the lists above. Does anyone have any info or ideas on treatments for this? I have read people use steroid creams, but I think the real problem is the food.

I don't want to have to avoid these foods forever, nor put my immune system under a lot of stress by eating them either. I'm sure there must be another way to become de-sensitized to nickel though. Any ideas?

Thanks,

salutina

Because I had the allergy with skin contact with nickel and read the following article on how they wer prescribing smalll doses of nickel in pill form to treat that............I was looking for foods with nickel in them and ended up here.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

interesting

I have a nickel allergy since childhood. Could never wear any fake jewelry. If I did, within hours I would get a red, very itchy rash. I also have since childhood (about age 14) a chronic ithcy eczema-like rash on my legs below the knees that doesn't go away. It gets very itchy on some days & not too bad on other days. After reading the nickel food allergy info now I'm thinking its probably related to the nickel allergy probably in the food? I'm a vegetarian so most of the food on the list is what I eat everyday. I wanted to know if anyone has info on what food is beneficial to eat for nickel allergy? Also, does anyone else have any skin related problems/ rash on legs that may be similar to what I have? I wanted to figure out if there is any relation w/ the nickel allergy. I've seen many dermatologists but they all prescribe steroids creams which helped temporarily but haven't eliminated the itchy patch on my legs. Thanks to everyone for their helpful info.

I too have an extreme nickel allergy which invariably shows up within a few hours of contact if I try to get away with wearing costume jewelry. I get it from snaps, metal zippers, bra parts, etc. I have a wonderful prescription cream which gives immediate relief and completely takes away symptoms (blisters, itching, redness) within 24 hours.

A nickel allergy is a contact allergy which seems, in my non medical opinion, unrelated to a chronic rash. I would keep searching for a dermatologist who would not just treat symptoms of the leg rash, but find its cause and treat it irrespective of your metal allergy. Respiratory allergies (where you breathe in an airborne allergen) also are different than contact allergies.

Re food.... I read labels on vitamin bottles and processed food and try to avoid anything when nickel is listed. I pretty much ignore the food list; if there is nickel in asparagus, for instance, so be it. Perhaps, and this is just my theory, if we ate more nickel in natural foods (not canned or processed) maybe we'd develop a higher tolerance to nickel. Or, perhaps, from a totally different angle, we are deficient in something that causes nickel sensitivity Again, this are just my unproven theories. If you are worried that you are allergic to nickel in food, an allergist can test you for it. However, few people who have a contact nickel allergy have a food nickel allergy.

Because even stainless steel has some nickel, first, I avoid using anything but enameled cast-iron cookware or glass bakeware. (This is a win-win for me because it also eliminates non-stick, plastic coatings, which might be toxic despite claims to the contrary.) Secondly, I avoid any stainless steel medical implants. Most doctors agree only titanium implants are nickel-free. I've never had an argument when I tell a surgeon ''no stainless steel, please.'' They might have to order special titanium plates or screws, etc., but they always are more than willing to do so. I had one doctor who was so sympathetic, he made me wear a sample titanium screw taped to my arm for a week prior to surgery, just to be sure I wouldn't get an internal infection.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

I also have a extreme nickel allergy. Is there a Group online for all of us to go to or is this the only one. It would be nice to talk with other people that have it. Other then the few on here I don't know anybody else that has it.

Good Luck to all!
Angie

I am not only allergic to nickel, but also to copper, aluminum, cobalt, and palladium.  Does anybody have any suggestions of further things to avoid?

And to srhackett, the first thing that set me off was stomach pains.  I am very allergic to nickel (a 4+, I started blistering where the skin patch was), and it was the intense stomach pains, diarrhea, and weight loss that made my mom and me seek out professional help.  I would definitely get a patch test to be sure.  In the mean time, the only thing I have found to decrease the pain of the stomach pains is Pepcid Complete.  It makes the pain pass a lot faster and I still use it occasionally when the pains get really bad.  I hope that helps.

Quote:

Thank you for the list of foods. My seven year old grandson was diagnosed with nickel allergy. After removing all nickel items from his wardrobe the doc has determined he is allergic to the nickel in food. The doc has recommended he take high dose of Vitamin C at meal time to absorb the nickel. Will see how that goes. Cindy

Did vitamin c work. Was told today that I was allergic to nickel. I eat lettuce everyday plus found out there is no cure for it so now going to try and avoid foods with nickel in them. Sheila

There are so many sources of nickel. Toner for copiers especiall color. So if you work in an office and print with laser printers you may see reactions. watch what you medications come in, a lot of them are in metel tubes, water boiled in kettles with metal coil element release nickel, hockey skates, I've even reacted to mousse from metal cannisters.. For the last 4 years fighting the extreme reactions from contact on my hands and food ingestion on my hands and feet. I too have started a low nickel diet. Within 2 weeks I've seen huge improvement. I get infections easily and not sure if it has to do with the nickel or the medications and creams and remedies or just the wound exposure. Good luck I completely understand the crazy itch and pain!!!!

Guest wrote:

Hi there,

If you are have allergic contact dermatitis it does NOT mean, that you also have allergy towards nickel in food. Only few people get allergy towards nickel in food. Unfortunately I am one of them. I do have a complete list over nickel in food, it even indicates how much there is in what, and what you should avoid if you are on a nickel diet. It is trustworthy because it is made by the Danish Health Department, which also means, that it is written in Danish. I can translate it for you, but you should first do the following:
Get an allergy test and ask your doctor if you could be allergic towards nickel in food. The Danish Health Department advises that you go on a 1-2 month long nickel diet, where you lower your intake of nickel a lot.
This is a very demanding process, (I was on it for 6 months because of my severe allergy), where you need to be really stick about what you eat, and how much in order to keep track of you nickel intake. Don't begin if you are going through a very stressful period of your life.
If the diet makes your allergy better, you should continue living on food with low nickel - but not as strictly as when on the diet. If you are a vegetarian - start eating meat! There's no way around it, sorry, but almost all the vegetarian substitutes for meat, are no-goes for people with allergy towards nickel in food.

Good luck, and let me know, if you want me to translate the list. If you know someone who reads/speaks Danish, let them help you. Here's a few links. The first one is a list with rankings of nickel in the different foods, the second is a list, where the left column indicates what you should NOT eat, while the right column is what you can eat when on a diet:
foedevareallergi.dk/Hvad_skal_du_undgaa/Mad_meget_nikkel/Lister_nikkelindholdet_foedevarer/Nikkel_i_mad_alfabetisk/forside.htm
foedevareallergi.dk/Hvad_skal_du_undgaa/Mad_meget_nikkel/Foerste_maaneder_nikkelfattig_kost/Forside.htm

Take care

I knew I was allergic to nickel in jewelry and just found out I am also allergic to nickel in food. I really would like the list of foods with nickel so I could get started on the diet. Thank You.

aeryn wrote:

I had a bad case of Dyshidrosis (eczema on hands and feet) 10 years ago and now it's come back. I've got it really bad on my hands and the skin on my face also got bad at the same time - judging by what I've read these past few days I'm thinking I've been misdiagnosed with acne, when the acne probably stopped ages ago and what I'm dealing with now could actually be Rosacea.

I never thought to link any of it to my nickel allergy, which I've known about for as long as I can remember. I never wear jewelry because of it.

So now I'm reading about all these things I'll try to avoid eating. But what is it you DO it? I'll do my reading, but in the meantime any hints would be much appreciated. I'm a total newbie when it comes to nutrition, which is probably part of the problem...

THANK YOU!!

Im so glad I looked this up today. I myself have been ill with? I don't know either. My doctor he says I have PLANT/PALMA psorasis. It's been 2 years of different DERMS. 2 said I didn't have psorasis after the byopsi. Well now that I've been studying this on my own I feel like becoming a DOCTOR LOL. I called my DR and told him I want to be treated for DISHIDROSIS my hands and feet have been killing me long enough. So metal HUH it's all making sence now. I'll keep you posted going on Monday FEB, 20th

Is there any way to post this pyramid that your doc gave you. I have been dx'ed allergic but all my allergist is giving me is anti-histimines that control swelling but do nothing for the hand break out and the sharp feeling of slivers under my fingers, not to mention I can't find a mutil-vitamin and I don't know what to eat because anything pre-prossessed is fortified. I hate this been going on since november.

Quote:

I am severely allergic to nickel and taking Vitamin C with each meal helps greatly. It is a horrible allergy which leaves scars on your body that don't go away for at least a year. And yes it is 100 trillion times worse then any poison ivy, oak etc that I have ever had in my life! I miss so much eating beans, whole grains, oatmeal and nuts and seeds. I hate this diet, it seems so unhealthy. Any suggestions from anyone? Kimberly

I just found out i have the "Nickel Allergy" and still trying to figure out what i can and can't have. One web site will tell me one thing and another will tell me something else.  I will take any advice to help me get rid of the rash and go none.

Tamie

can you give more info on the food pyramid? and the diet. I just found out about my allergy.