stacey1242 wrote:

Hello! People with nickel allergy usually feel the same as you. The skin becomes inflamed and itchy, sometimes even with watery blisters, after not more then twenty minutes of the exposure to things that contain nickel. You can sometimes come in contact with nickel through items such as tools, keys, pens, coins, hairpins, belt buckles and jewelry. Nickel is found in many foods and it can be found even in tap water. There are some people who believe that food such as chocolate, legumes, nuts, salmon, grains, potatoes, canned fruits and vegetables may cause nickel allergy. As I know this is considered highly controversial and more research is needed. I think it may happen only to small percentage of people who are extremely sensitive to nickel.

I have allergey also and the doctor said that there is no medical help that he knew of. I have went on internet, but no one knows much about this allergy. I try to stay away from nickel, but is is very hard, becquse your pots, pans, silverware, paint dies, seems that everything has nickle.
I have search for foods that I can eat that doesn't have nickel.
I stay broke out in hives most of the time. would like to find help.

Retha

Guest wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I also just found out that I am allergic to nickel in food. My dermatologist gave me a long list of foods containing nickel from a dermatology textbook. He also gave me a food pyramid that has which foods are high, medium, and low nickel content. Here goes:

All Canned food
Food cooked in nickel pots (nonstick are fine)
Asparagus
Beans/Lentils
Broccoli
Corn
Carrots
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Kale
Alfalfa Sprouts
Leeks
Pineapple
Raspberries
Dates
Figs
Herring
Oyster/Mussels
Shrimp/Crawfish
Whole wheat flour
Bran
Buckwheat
Millet
Multigrain bread
Muesli
Oatmeal
Unpolished (brown) rice
Rye Bran
Tea
Soy protein powder
Chocolate/cocoa
Baking powder
Marzipan
Nuts
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
Licorice
Vitamins with nickel

I have been on this diet for almost 3 weeks. It's tricky at first, but if you are careful and read ingredients it's not too bad. When I've accidentally eaten something, for example soy sauce, I broke out almost immediately. My next plan is to slowly add things back and see what I react to. Good luck!b

can you share your food pyramid that has which foods are high, medium, and low nickel content?
I have looked and asked my docters but nothing
Tamie

tamie wrote:

Guest wrote:

Hello Everyone,

All Canned food
Asparagus
Beans/Lentils
Broccoli
Corn
Carrots
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Kale
Alfalfa Sprouts
Leeks
Pineapple
Raspberries
Dates
Figs
Herring
Oyster/Mussels
Shrimp/Crawfish
Whole wheat flour
Bran
Buckwheat
Millet
Multigrain bread
Muesli
Oatmeal
Unpolished (brown) rice
Rye Bran
Tea
Soy protein powder
Chocolate/cocoa
Baking powder
Marzipan
Nuts
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
Licorice
Vitamins with nickel

Tamie

What can you eat that does not have nickel in it?

This is the list that my doctor gave me when I was diagnosed.

http://www.melisa.org/nickel.php

Also, I found that the best place to get belts is from REI. They have some that have a plastic buckle instead of a metal one, which has extremely decreased the rashes on my stomach.

I can't believe no one has mention it before, smoking cigarettes is a major cause of being over exposed to nickel. Cutting back on certain foods, like chocolate, and touching silverware and drinking tap water on a regular basis can cause to outbreaks that are happening. Everyone needs to examine their eating habits, contact with metals, and cigarettes smoking, and don't forget atmosphere during the changing of the seasons from spring to summer, when the ground starts to heat up. This causes a lot of nickel from the soil to be released into the air, and we breath this in. Especially around chemical plants and high industrial areas. One more reminder, major nickel content in tap waters, avoid like the plague, and drink filtered bottled water...

Thank you for your post - I have just discovered I have this allergy and am suffering with terrible dyshidrotic eczema on my hands. I have always controlled symptoms with steroid creams but we are trying to have a baby and they are not safe during pregnancy, so I am trying to get to the root cause of the issue and find safer ways to manage my symptoms.

Unfortunately, I couldn't open either link - is it possible for you to repost with a translated version?

Thanks again!

look at posts above.

That is so weird, my list does not contain broccoli or corn or mushrooms.
Do you know where your study came from? I would like to get more information. I have had this food allergy for several years but still get hives and a swollen tummy when I eat.

my list contains coffee and chocolate, and stakes that beer will make a reaction worse if you eat something. This is the same for red wine. very interesting that everyone has such different lists.

I followed the diet and nothing changed. Got a second opinion from a dr in the city, she has me watching for sodium/potassium metabisulfite, now i notice the difference. just saying if the nickle diet doesn't make a difference get a second opinion.
good luck everyone.

I would love your Danish list in English if it not too much trouble...Thaks

If you are allergic to nickel in any form (food, jewelry, etc.), be aware if you have to have any joint replacements such as knee, hip, shoulder. The normal replacements are made of stainless steel which has nickel in it. I have had both knee replacement and also shoulder. After being tested for nickel allergy, I decided to have titanium, oxynium replacements which have caused no problems at all.

Guest wrote:

the following foods known to be high in nickel:

* Almonds
* Asparagus
* Baking powder
* Brown lentils
* Beans
* Cabbage
* Canned foods
* Chocolate
* Corn
* Food cooked with or in nickel-containing utensils
* Hazelnuts
* Herring
* Licorice
* Margarine
* Mushrooms
* Onions
* Oysters
* Peanuts
* Pears
* Peas
* Raisins
* Rhubarb
* Spinach
* Sprouts
* Tea
* Tomatoes
* Walnuts
* Whole meal flour

What can I eat???? Plz gimme the list of foods which I can eat..I think that list will be much short

tamie wrote:

Guest wrote:

Hello Everyone,

All Canned food
Asparagus
Beans/Lentils
Broccoli
Corn
Carrots
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Kale
Alfalfa Sprouts
Leeks
Pineapple
Raspberries
Dates
Figs
Herring
Oyster/Mussels
Shrimp/Crawfish
Whole wheat flour
Bran
Buckwheat
Millet
Multigrain bread
Muesli
Oatmeal
Unpolished (brown) rice
Rye Bran
Tea
Soy protein powder
Chocolate/cocoa
Baking powder
Marzipan
Nuts
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
Licorice
Vitamins with nickel

Tamie

where can you find a copy of the food pyramid that shows foods that are high medieum low nickel content ?

Hello everybody,  I have been allergic to nickel for years and also to lassix.  so can only use hypoallergenic band aids.  As far as I know, I only have rashes where nickel touches.  But I have psoriatic arthritis.  So was wondering if that could be a symtom of eating foods with nickel?  Does anyone have similiar symtons or any other symtons besides skin rashes?  My whole family seems to be allergic to nickel and its only from contact. But they have other problems at times, like panic disorder.