I also have a food allergy to nickel.  I would have bad rashes on my hands, and my mouth and upper sinuses would burn when I ate certain foods.  My intestines on my left side would swell, and go into spasms, causing alot of pain and distress.  At first doctors thought I had IBS, but my symptoms didn't match up exactly with the problems.  Instead of lose bowels I would have constipation.  Then I wondered why would when I ate spinach or lettuce (some of the foods with nickel) would I have this problem?  Well, I found out they were high in nickel.  This made sense.  My whole life I have had an allergy to nickel in jewelry.  I would even get rashes from buttons on my jeans.  Well, I started following the nickel free food diet.  It has made such a difference in my life.  I also have juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and I've noticed that the diet has helped my joints feel better.  I don't feel as fatigued either.  I do notice when I slip and eat something with nickel.  My hands itch, and my sinuses get really stuffed up.  I also get a really bad headache the next day, where it hurts to move my eyes.  My big culprit has been soy.  I swear it is in everything!  I am so happy I discovered a way to control this problem.:-D

Yes please translate this list!! I will keep looking for another one in the meantime. We are mostly vegan and have been steering our diet to a more "healthful" state for years. I noticed the allergy when I gave up coffee for cocoa every morning. that took me 6 months to figure out allergy to chocolate. Then I read about nickel allergy and realized I also get rash when I eat beans, whole grain pastas, etc.

Now we are doing anti-candida diet, no sugar and low meat. So I have been substituting almonds, i think that is causing a more severe rash now. I would be HIGHLY interested in these lists of foods and their rankings.

Thank you!!

I have an allergy to nickle and I have 5 crowns with nickle that I am working on because of health issues and heavy metal toxicity. I found the follolwing very interesting since I found I am also gluten intolerant...

Grains

Avoid

Whole wheat bread, multi grain breads, multi grain cereals, wheat bran, wheat germ, whole wheat pasta, oats, oatmeal, buckwheat, seeds, rye, millet

Vegetables

Avoid

Beans, lentils, peas, soy products (tofu, soy sauce, soy beans) sprouts, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, canned vegetables, red kidney beans, chickpeas, cabbage, corn, mushrooms, onions, carrots

Fruits

Avoid

Canned fruit cocktail, pears, bananas, canned fruits, tomatoes, raisins, rhubarb, dried fruit

Meats

Avoid

Shellfish, herring, mackerel, tuna, processed meats with fillers or coatings, canned meats and fish

Beverages

Avoid

Tea, chocolate milk, beer, red wine

OTHER SOURCES OF DIETARY NICKEL TO AVOID

Chocolate and cocoa powder (especially dark chocolate)

All nuts (walnuts, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, soy nuts)

All seeds (sunflower seeds, linseed)

Licorice

Baking powder

Gelatin

Marzipan

Margarine

Commercial salad dressings

Vitamins containing nickel

Canned foods in general

Stainless-steel cooking vessels used for cooking acidic foods

The first quart of tap water drawn from any faucet in the morning.

WAYS TO PREVENT YOUR BODY FROM ABSORBING THE NICKEL YOU EAT Take a vitamin C supplement with each meal.

Eat a high iron diet

Sharma AD. Relationship between nickel allergy and diet. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol

Zirwas, M, Molenda M. Dietary Nickel as a Cause of Systemic Contact Dermatitis

June 2009 JCAD Online

I have been looking for the Nickel-content per micrograms of food and I found it on this great Danish website. Bing translated it into English in a blink.
Now I can move forward to healthy , safe eating.
Austin,TX

I can certainly relate to Dr.s prescribing steroids both creams and pills. They help for a while then the symptoms return. I have test done by dermatologists revealing my nickel allergy. I have suffered for years and years with contact dermatitis, and probably used every remedy on the market as well as OTC remedies with no relief. I just recently started a low nickel diet, getting my information from different sites on the net. My hands were so sore I could not open them. Finally the frustration of it all got to be more than I could manage. Since I have taken it upon myself to pay close attention to the foods I eat the problem has subsided. Each day I can see that my skin is rebuilding and renewing itself. I thank the web sites and all the information availabe from several sources as well as from others that have this frustrating problem . Please continue to share any and all of your information with us all , you have no idea how much appreciated it is . Hopefull I have helped someone as well. Nickel free diets are definitely no pleasure but the benefits far outway suffering with this horrible condition. Good Luck to All .

Slowly over the years I have been getting a hives rash that has gradually got worse. It can appear anywhere on my body, but mainly on my arms. It is VERY uncomfortable, itchy and makes me anxious., it also just seemed to appear for no reason... In the past I have had an allergy to nickel which appeared when wearing one particular pair of jeans... it was the back of the metal button on the jeans which was in contact with skin around my belly button.... but I simply got rid of that particular pair of jeans.... no other jeans seem to do that ..... Recently the hives reaction was getting worse...... I went to my doctor and he said it was something that I was digesting. One of his questions was do I drink tea and I said yes quite a lot... He told me that tea contains a lot of nickel. I have since stopped drinking tea and the itching has completely stopped......... as you can imagine I was over the moon..... Regards

me too! desperate to know exactly how much nickel is in foods. I am vey disappointed that dr's here don't have much information. My allergy presents on my face, causing burning blisters. My eyes are swollen shut almost every day when I wake up. I would be grateful for any information.

http://www.melisa.org/nickel.php

This site has a list of which foods have high, medium, and low nickel contents. I have a copy hanging on my fridge so I don't forget what I should try to avoid.

I have a nickel allergy that I developed after my daughter was born.  I get a severe burn-like blister if I touch nickel.  I had some dental work that had some nickel in it - I had to get it removed and replaced because it ended up putting a hole in my esophagus - almost killed me.  In addition, I am allergic to tap water - break out in blisters all over my face if I drink it.  Can't use shower caps, the elastic on the caps give me burn-like blisters, as well.  Allergic to metal door knobs, too. 

It wasn't easy, but I have found a way to cope:  Purified bottled water is the only water I can drink and I use it when I cook, as well.  My husband (bless him) replaced our metal door knobs with glass door knobs.  I can't get coffee at Starbucks because their equipment must have metal in or on it and I break out in blisters all over my face if I drink anything from there. 

One more thing, I am allergic to Solo Cups - gives me a blister wherever it touches me - same thing with McDonald's coffee cups.

I consider myself very lucky to still be here and to have figured all of this out since I didn't have these allergies until I was 24.

Hello all

I have looked on this site  http://www.melisa.org/nickel.php ...posted on here and it says in the last paragraph before the food graph .....Certain foods are routinely high in nickel content. Legumes, nuts, grains, potatoes, chocolate and fish are among the food high in nickel. Then in the food graph just below it it puts fish in the Low content(less than 0.1 mg/kg)group????????

Tea isn't mentioned at all but it's mentioned on nearly every other site I've seen about nickel allergy.

How are we supposed to try and help ourselves with our allergy when we see advice from people who pertain to know about it seemingly not knowing about it and giving out wrong advice.

My specialist also recommends a chewable 500 mg vitamin c with every meal.

I have had a 10 year journey with this mess. I  many theories over that time, all of which have been proven true such as many who suffer from chronic fatiigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and other mysterious diagnosis.  I have also determined that systemic Nickel Allergy Syndrome can lead to a condition very similar to celiac disease.  I have been in partial remission for the past five years due to a low nickel diet.  I have now developed lactose intolerance because is the nickel issue.  That has cut out half my diet. If you are miserable and in desperate need PDF info, please email me.  I can control it instead if it controlling me.  I no longer have joint pain, heart palpitations.  My digestive troubles have returned since the lactose intolerance has began.  If you don't want to contact me, at least google "Systemic Nickel Allergy Syndrome".  You will truly be enlightened about your suffering and hopefully fined some relief.  Sorry about all the missing words and typos, my iPad will not let me go back and fix what it keeps changing.

I get pretty much like you inside except for the outside patches. As a child I had very itchy and red spot elbows. I also cough a braying cough after hi cocoa chocolate. Sometimes I can take it but not for a period of time. Even a small square daily...after a few days I am back at it with the itchy and my tongue stings (maybe like a bruise) it gets all blue in a spot. My throat also spasms...at first it was creepy but now I realize and I relax...
I also have tried taking a vitamin C succor when I eat nickel. Apparently it keeps one from absorbing so much nickel.
Handy to keep them around.

i finging hard with the nickel because it in the food i like