I walk at least 4-5 km each day. I don’t do any sports. I am on good shape…well not excellent, but…. Everybody is telling me that walking is not good and that I have to train some sport. I think they are wrong. Please tell me is walking enough?

Well sweetie, walking alone won't give you 6 pack abs, but for the average person there are a great many benefits to participating in a walking program. If you have been a couch potato for the past years starting a walking program will provide numerous benefits. For example people recovering from injuries can often walk when they cannot participate in more strenuous activities. Although a new study shows that slowly walking 10,000 steps a day may not be enough exercise to result in significant health benefits.

Hello Bobb,

Well depends what you want to do. Of course that walking is much better than sitting on the couch and doing nothing but if you want to see some improvement in your health and if you want to build up some muscles than this is not good enough.

If you are walking because you had some kind of injury and you were recommended only to walk by your doctor than this is just fine. And also if you are advised not to walk by your friends who are doing nothing than definitely ignore them and continue with walking and maybe start with some additional exercises.

I hope that you will find some kind of balance and I wish you good luck.