I started a lifting program about a month ago, and am able to go to the gym only two days per week. I'm doing a full-body workout each time... is this enough to make that much of a difference? TIA

Probably not enough if you're looking to become a body builder, but for most other people, that should be enough.

In another thread, I mentioned the trinewbies program and that I'd gotten the results I wanted from it and will use it again once my training program gets back on track. The trinewbies program has you doing three days a week, but I only did two and still got results.

PH
:D

I personally prefer three days a week but I can do that now since I am benched.....I'd like to try and keep it to that once I start running again but even two if you are doing full body is going to give you some results. Like purple said, runners lift as an addition, not as the main part of our workout program. Check out the trinewbies site if you haven't already to see if their program is close to yours, I think that it might be as far as which exercises you are doing.

I'm with genie: I try to do three at the gym but it usually ends up as two (full body also). I have some small weights at home so I try to use those with some combination from Women's Fitness or Shape or something if I miss a day. If nothing else, pushups, situps, dips off of chairs, what have you.
Some forms of yoga (Power Yoga for example) are also good for building not just strength, but flexibility.

While runners may not want much bulk (and I'm sure that muscle slows me down to an extent) strength training is VERY important for women, especially those that may already have bone density issues (I do). Strength training now can help protect against future bone loss and osteoporosis.

I've noticed a visible and feeling-wise difference after once a week.

Frog Doc.......i just wanted to get my two cents in... next spring i will finish my degree in exercise physilogy and i have been spending this whole summer doing my internship..so i like to think i know alittle about this stuff... i have been lifting weights for years..... i have always done cardio to keep in shape but until this april i got the running bug and racing bug and am currently logging in 35+ miles aweek plus biking and lifting....i have cut back on my my liftin because i actually want to become a better runner.. Anyways liftin 2 times a week doing a full body workout is a great way to build some muscle and tone up which will complement your running... 3 times is ideal but 2 is good.. just like the budweiser commerical sometimes less is more.....and this is a good way to start because it will give your body ample time to rest.. keep it up and if u can sneak one more day in then go for it.

Agree with Mr. Nasty. According to the ACSM, two full-body weight training days per week is sufficient for fitness and overall toning of muscles.
(Already have my degree (MS) and work as an Exercise Physilogist )

I like this thread, I was going to ask about lifting. I think I need to break up my running a little bit and I was going to ask aobut how much do people lift. I was going to try and lift 3 mornings a week and then run my normal 5 times a week.