I just recently turned 20 and i am a virgin...i have recently become very itchy and dry around my clitoris and my labia seems very red...my vagina also seems to be very swollen...i have never been to a gyno and i am nervous to say something to my mom...i need advice!

Hi there! It sounds like a yeast infection. Yeast infection is the most common vulvar and vaginal infection among females of all ages. A yeast called Candida Albicans is the most frequent cause. Predisposing risk factors for vaginal yeast infection include diabetes, pregnancy, antibiotic use, stress, poor diet, sugars, alcohol, menopause, use of hormones, birth control pills, pregnancy, immunosuppression from drugs or disease. Hot weather or non-ventilating clothing increase moisture, warmth and darkness fostering fungal growth. Yeast infections generally are not sexually transmitted. Symptoms of yeast infections can include swollen, red, tender, itching vaginal lips and surrounding skin. The essential oil tea tree oil, diluted and applied topically to the vaginal area, has shown some potential as a natural home remedy for yeast infection. You can also take a tampon and dip it in yogurt. Insert in the vagina, twice a day. Continue this remedy for an extra day after your symptoms go away. Or use a clear gel cap from any health food store and fill it with pharmacy grade Boric Acid and insert it in the vaginal opening. But the best thing is to see a gynecologist, you're 20 years old, it's about time.