I am 53 yo, hyterectomy about 7 years ago ( retained only one ovary). I have recently started swimming in a public pool about 3-4 days a week. I saw the Dr. last week as I suspected a UTI, it was confirmed this week by urine screen. I started on a Sulfa and same day developed vaginal - itch/burn which has increased in intensity. Both Pharmacist and Dr. advised to continue taking the anti-biotic and treat for yeast infection. I bought the 3-day tx., but could not endure the increased irritation. I tried Aloe vera, Vit E cr. and finally Gold Bond powder and flush with the shower several times through the day.
I felt that with the hysterectomy it was safe to use the shower to flush myself ( no cervix for point of entry) and no one else uses my shower.
Question - Could this be caused by the Pubic pool? Is there something I need to do to protect myself from infection? Should I cease the flushing if it is my only relief? If so what should I do?

AHHHH!!!!! :$ :$ :'( :'( i know your pain!!! this is common with antibiotics that kill all the good bacteria in your vagina and plus messes with the Ph balance that your hysterectomy (via decreased estrogene) has also decreased. Being a very experienced in this unpleasant experience the best relief i found was eating lots of yogurt (not the low-fat stuff) (or i suppose you could drink buttermilk). For instant relief of the itching you can also spread the yogurt on your vulva, but make sure to wear a pad to protect your garments, furniture, ect.

Another thing i have found helpful and this may sound weird but it works like a charm is garlic. garlic has a powerful antibacterial property that is currently being studied in treating Antibacterial skin infections (such as MRSA methacillian Resitant Staph Areaus). What you do is, before bedtime, take a garlic clove and peel it (you can do this by snapping the clove gently a couple of times then peeling the skin off till you see a shiny waxy surface). Next, take a piece of gauze, cotton, or cheese cloth (no synthetic material such as rayon, nylon, acrylic, plastic, as you want the material to 'breath') and wrap the clove leaving a tail secured by thread or twisting. Insert the wrapped clove of garlic 1-1 and 1/2 inches into vagina (not too far!!!!), sleep and remove in the morning. Also to note, that this may burn a bit, because garlic is a tad acidic in nature, but that is the problem that causes yeast infections, the vagina is also a tad acidic and yeast thrives in a more basic environment. However, if you are allergic to garlic and/or sting becomes unbearable, do not use or discontinue use.

hope you are feeling better soon!!!

I tried this for a couple of nights and it worked like a charm! I'm totally going to do the garlic suppository next time I get a bladder infection! It totally cured it!