FOR THE PAST 6MONTHS I HAVE HAD SWOLLEN, ITCHY, DRY AND CHAPPED LIPS, IT ALSO AFFECTS THE SKIN AROUND MY MOUTH.IT STARTS WITH SORES AND THROBBING PAIN,THEN MY LIPS SWELL AND START ITCHING.IVE TAKEN VITAMINS AND TRIED EVERY CREAM, IM NOW TAKING ANIT ALLERGY BUT STILL AS PAINFUL AS EVER.I HAVE TO USE VASELINE CONSTANTLY TO STOP THEM DRYING OUT,IVE EVEN TRIED TOOTHPASTE FROM THE HEALTH SHOP.THIS PROBLEM GETS WORSE AROUND THE TIME OF MY PERIOD.ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE AS THE DOCS DNT HAVE CLUE. IM DESPERATE.... :$

For the last 7 months I have been getting itchy, red all around my lips. It all started when I squeezed a tiny little black head around my lower lip and then applied some lipstick with an obviously now contaminated brush because within 2 hours I could feel my lips being sucked dry of any moisture and they have never been the same since. I have tried making my own herbal lip concocsion but to no avail, am now on derma-top which helps kind of but really do not want a bandaid for the problem I want them back to normal. Some days I think they are almost normal and then depending on what I may eat during the night they flare up as red and swoolen and itchy, itchy, itchy, I believe it is chocolate and dairy that is bothering me. I also have just started taking organic wild Oregano Oil to help cleanse the blood and I am hoping to do a three day fast and see if that will be the miracle needed. ......

its been a year already, i just came across this site. hopefully u have found treatment for your lips. if not and for those who have the same problem, use neosporin lip treatment. it will help alleviate any pain/burning/redness because it has an analgesic and also treat dry/chapped lips. for sores, go to the doctor and get a prescription for triamcinolone acetonide dental paste. one dab of that directly on lips/sores/area where it is swollen or burns/itches and it is gone literally by the end of the day! it is a miracle cream.

i've suffered from dry, swollen lips a few times in the past - it all started a few years ago - from a transfer resistant lipstick.the treatment i had been given at that time worked and a couple of weekes later it had completely cleared. the symptoms returned this summer - and the doctors have given me all sorts of steroids creams and ointments, have seen about 5-6 doctors in a period of 3 months and it would get a lot better sometimes but never completely.so i've tried again the treatment used initially which i recommend to all of u (but definitely check with a doctor first :-) : the cream is called ELOCON (a very strong steroids based cream), aplied in a very thin layer twice a day for 5-7 days taking orally during treatment vitamin E (once a day). and u can see the effects within hours!
it worked for me and i hope it helps u all as well!

after suffering with the lips i also had stomach problems, i ended having an endoscopy, i was diagnosed with Hpylori bacteria in my stomach, this was treated with a strong dose of antibiotics and antacids, on reading symptons to this bacteria it was obviously the cause of my lips and mouth as all is well now.

I have the same problem, but I have found that Palmer's cocoa butter formula swivel stick and neosporin really help. Good luck!!!

Hey, I've been having the same problem with my lips. I thought it was because they were too dry or because of rapid climate change (I travel a bit) but the symptoms seem similar. Sometimes I get coldsores, sometimes not, but my lips feel sore, itchy, swollen, and irritated. I went to my dermatologist and they prescribed me a prescription cream: fougera - triamcinolone acetonide cream USP, 0.1%.
It relieves the symptoms rapidly; however, doesn't cure them but I've tried almost everything (100% organic lip balms, pure cocoa butter, vaseline, you name it) and this is the best thing that I've come across.
I know everyone is different and would thus react to different medications so I wish you all luck in healing this pesky problem.

I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have been mystified by it for several years. It started randomly about 4 winters ago and seems to return around the same time every year, lasting 1-3 months. The lips become dry, swollen, reddish, and have little bumps around the edges that itch. Sometimes they throb a little. I tried Neosporin, which for me didn't work because it STUNG very badly, and also tried a few other types of chap stick-type brands. The first year it happened, my doctor didn't know what to think. But she prescribed a cream similar to the one mentioned above. More recently, I've been battling it on my own by putting Bacitraycin or A&D Ointment on my lips. It helps the itchiness and pain, but the underlying problem is still there. I am planning to call the doctor again for another prescription. It is miserable - you can't even kiss your significant other!

ask GP to send you to dermatologist and get you tested, that's the way they found out 1 year later that I was allergic to propolis and since it's found in lots of cosmetics, creams & food, my lips wood swollen every time in contact! good luck ;-)

I have the same problem - tiny/micro bumps around edges of lips, then peeling and cracking of lips, itchiness, burning and stinging sensation with a bit of swollenness. I have been wearing braces for almost 2 years. I didn't have this problem until a couple weeks ago. I suspect it is related to my braces pushing against the inside of my lips. I have all sorts of weird problems since I have had these braces -- changes in breathing, changes in saliva, longterm sinus and coughing problems, etc. I took Prednison for weird food allergy about 5 months ago and also suspect that taking that medication increased my sensitivity to allergens. I have never had any respiratory/seasonal allergies before this. Now the lip problem is here and I know it's not from saliva. I haven't been licking my lips at all because licking it actually makes it sting! I read on several other sites that you should try to starve any bacteria from oxygen and moisture. Read somewhere else that sometimes ppl are allergic to Burt's Bees products and I did use Burts Bees lip balm but have also been using it for a year and didn't have any problems until now. Still, in the chance that I have developed an allergy to it, I stopped using it. I now use Carmex which seems to help a little but not cure it. Also read that it might be a condition called Cheilitis but didn't see any suggestions for treatment that I haven't already tried. ;-) Cortisone helps a bit with itchiness but also stings. Neosporin doesn't seem to help. Thinking it might be a nutrional deficiency, I ate some yogurt and OMG the yogurt seems to help! Especially spreading some yogurt on my lips seems to alleve all the symptoms. I looked it up and confirmed that yogurt does have antibacterial properties. I think I will continue to eat more of it and see if it cures the problem. You may also want to trip other antibacterial lip balms like Balm Balm Tea Tree Lip Balm (just google it). I read in another site that using Olive Oil instead of vaseline based products may also help. I think that the braces make it easier for bacteria to lurk around and somehow the bacteria infected cuts from the braces inside my lip. I'm no doctor but it is my deduction. Yogurt supposedly makes a good facial mask, too. Will post an update if I ever figure out if this cures it permanently. To those that have this condition, hang in there and keep trying!

Such symptoms where lip balm does not work and you do not have a common virus / bacteria (your doctor can test you), especially if skin on your lips peels constantly, so that pus results and scabs form, try increasing the intake of freshly squeezed raw juices especially dark greens such as spinach. I found freshly grown wheatgrass juice (not the powered juice) a tremendous help. Note a certain type of juicer is required to juice wheatgrass. Your local health shop will be able to help. Oscar is one brand of juicer suitable for this grass.
I'm informed when the body becomes overly acidic through diet (too much acidic foods), by increasing the intake of alkaline foods, eg fresh fruits and vegs, brings back the balance. Plus reduce acidic foods. Hope this helps. Symptoms may return more frequently as you get older?

Ok, so I have had this problem for a while now, it's really embarrassing when I go to school and have red all around my lips because everyone's looking!! It's not only embarrassing, it really stings and hurts when I talk or anything like that. I've always thought it was just me with this problem but I guess not. Anyway, I've tried Blistex and that sometimes works to calm down the inflammation but it really really burns and makes the redness even more noticable (as if it weren't bad enough :'( ). So, I have heard multiple things and I'm not sure whats true or not, all I can do is try my best and help out. Here are two things I've heard works:
1. Water intake. So, if you don't get enough water, you can dehydrate yourself which leads to dry lips so try and drink as much water as possible i guess (without overdoing it)
2. B12 vitamin. Okay, the lack of B12 vitamin, or Riboflavin, is also a cause of dry, itchy, red, chapped lips so I am now taking one a day teen advantage and that has 153% of the daily value of b12.

I hope these work!!!(fingers crossed) so I've got my water bottle handy and my daily pills on the counter. Hope I get this problem fixed, AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS!!!!

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, and it came on all of a sudden. It seemed to appear around the time of my period. Maybe something immunological, don't know.

Anyway, before loading up on steroids, antibiotics and such, try putting pure lanolin on your lips. I'm in Europe and over here I buy Purelan 100 in the pharmacy, the company is called Medela and (I know this sounds weird) but it's what nursing mothers put on their nipples when they're cracked. It's 100% ultra pure lanolin USP/EO, natural, no additives or preservatives. Maybe you can get something similar in the US.

This is the only thing that worked for me. In fact, the problem not only cleared up, it's never come back.

Best of luck.

Hey I live in cold England and just came back from Dubai and I think the sun soaked the moisture out of my lips coz ever since then I've been applying vaseline 5 times a day and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. My lips are bright red ad are crusty at the edges theyre really painful and swollen. any ideas?

i have had the same problem for about 2 months now and it's really annoying! i had the little bumps that would ooze clear liquid if i scratched them but they're gone now. i just have really, really dry skin around my lips and every morning and night i have to scrub it off with a toothbrush and right away put lotion around my lips and lip balm on my lips. it seems to help for a couple hours or so, but after going through a normal day, whether indoors or out, the dryness comes back. if i try to re-moisturize with lotion, it will just make the flakes stick to my skin and not go away so i have to scratch them off and re-moisturize after. is there anything that will cure this problem? or at least relieve it for a long period of time? any help would be really appreciated!