I have been swimming for a long time. My father says that this is no good since I am not competing. The point is to be better than others and beat them in every race. I don’t share his enthusiasm for winning no matter what. What do you think, should I do just swimming or winning?

I don’t like what I am about to say, but don’t listen to your father. Some parents make a habit out of forcing their children to fulfill their dreams which didn’t com true. You are a separate person with your own desires, thoughts and plans. In fact, the most of the people swim for the pleasure of it or for health reasons not to compete. Glamorous as it seems, competing isn’t all that shiny. There are many things such as race pressure, responsibility, sponsors, which doesn’t look nice. So if you are swimming just for the pleasure, keep doing so. Even if you do compete and start winning it won’t bring you the satisfaction you want if you are doing it for the wrong reasons.