Is it too late for me to compete? I’m 25 and I started training swimming last year. As it turns out I’m pretty talented for this sport and my coach says he regrets I haven’t started it a bit earlier because I could have made it big. Do you think I can still try and see how it goes? I’m in a good shape as I’ve trained other sports regularly and condition is not the problem.

Eh, pal, I think that you’re a little bit too late to start a competing career. Many swimmers your age are already about to retire and you think about starting a career. I don’t want to discourage you, I’m just trying o be realistic. Don’t be disappointed, because the beauty is not in competing and winning but in participating and in this case, training for the sake of swimming itself. Moreover, what you do now is a kind of legacy for the future since your health will be excellent when you get older. So, it’s not actually that important if you can’t compete. Besides, maybe there are some amateur competitions that you can take a part in. Ask around and I‘m sure you will find something.