Hello! I got cold few days ago and I have noticed few swollen lymph nodes on my neck. Now, I want to ask you following: do these swollen lymph nodes necessarily mean a cold? I have heard that swollen lymph nodes can be caused by some serious diseases as cancer is. Thank you in advance!

Hello! I think that you should not be worried about this. I think that your swollen nodes are caused by cold which you got. It is true that swollen lymph nodes can be caused by some other diseases and infections. I suggest you to wait until your cold pass. If your swollen lymph nodes pass with cold, then there is no need for worry. If they do not, then you should contact your doctor.

Having cold can be annoying but the good thing is that it usually doesn’t last too long if you start the treatment on time. Your lymph nodes are part of your immune system, so any kind of infection that your body experience may trigger the swelling of your lymph nodes. So lymph nodes can be caused by a cold but as I mentioned already they can be swollen from any kind of infection. This means that you might have swollen lymph nodes from viral, bacterial or fungal infection. The important thing is that you need to find the real reason of swelling so you can treat it accordingly. You should be fine after your cold is gone.