I have had a lymph node in my neck near to my Adam's Apple which is the size of a baked bean, easily felt upon examination, it has been this way for a number of years without pain or causing me any discomfort..........is one this size something to worry about or would this be considered normal?

Any advice much appreciated.

Hello there! I don’t think your swollen node represents any danger especially because it hasn’t changed in size for so long and because it hasn’t bother you. Correct me if I am wrong.
Do you happen to remember when exactly it got swollen, after a flu or some sort of infection?
If you are too worried, you may see a doc and if you don’t have any additional symptoms, s/he may give you an antibiotic or decide to do a biopsy.
Lymph nodes usually swell to fight an infection. They make white blood cells to do the job. When an infection occurs, the lymph nodes swell and produce more white blood cells in their attempt to trap the organisms that are causing the infection. Nodes also try to trap cancer cells.
If a doc decides to perform a biopsy, s/he may use needle or open biopsy. Using a needle, they insert it in the node and take out the sample. During an open biopsy, a doc may decide to remove the whole node or just a part of it to have it examined in the lab.
But I think they won’t decide to do a biopsy due to the fact that it has been present for ages and not caused any troubles.

when i was about nine years old i had a swollen lymph node three times as large as you described. i went to my doctor and they gave me medicine to reduce the swelling. it was gone in about a week or so. but advice to not only you, but others that might view this page, go to your doctor. they are hold the best answers.