I got my belly button pierced last week and it seems like it has got infected now. I was quite unhappy with the piercing place to be honest and their hygiene standards seemed to be inadequate but I went ahead any way, because I really wanted the piercing and didn't want to pay lots of money for it. I guess I have learnt my lesson now! My question is whether you think I need to take the piercing out, or whether I can save it?

I have a few piercings as well as a piece of advice :). If your pierced area is REALLY red, painful and obviously full of pus, I would take the piercing out straight away and go to your doctor to ask for some penicillin. If not, treat the area with alcohol three times a day. This should clear the infection up in a few days, or at least make it significantly better. If this doesn't prove to be successful, please go and see your doctor and ask them for advice on what to do. I am sorry there are so many cowboy piercers out there.