hi my name is laura and i have three beatiful hamsters my eldest is called fudge who is going to be two next month, sparkle is six months old, and crsytal is ten weeks. every summer my dad insists its warm enough for them to live in the garage in the winter he supposedly allows them in the house well we have had many arguments recently cos its been cold and i wasnt allowed to bring them in until yesterday i went out fudge has conjunctiveititis at the moment and is on drops which has to be done twice aday and i went in to the garage which was bloody freezing i ran straight inside and asked if i could bring them in as its too cold he said no so after another row i looked on the internet about hamsters living in the garage at winter and it said its two dangerous i told them this and i was allowed to bring them in.

Hi Laura.
Well if you ask me, I also think that it is too cold for them to live in garage in the winter. Well I would bring them in right now.
So is Fudge any better? Keep us updated on this.

hello yes thank you little fudge is doing alot better he had conjunctivitis in his eyes he had drops then his eye bled but luckily the vet said its nothing to worry about. they are all living inside now thank god

Well it is nice to hear the good news. I'm wondering have you had hamsters before Fudge? You said he will be two years now, when did you got him?

hi yes i have had hamsters before him i used to have gold fish when i was about ten years old and when i was doing my sats at primary school my mum was worried it would affect it and went out and bought me a hamster her name was anita she was three when she died then i had three little russian hamters snowy bubble and squeek they were from the same litter. they were all about one when they died they died of wettail and had have the knowledge of what i have now i would probably been able to help them. then two and a half years ago in february 07i bought smudge a long haired grey and white syrian and in july i bought summer in the october i got fudge sadly smudge and summer died but fudge is as strong as ever and i now have sparkle and crystal aswell :-D :-) ;-)

Wow you really had many pet in your life. And as I can see you gained a lot of knowledge about hamsters. It is obvious that you have a lot of experience, I was wondering if you can tell me (in your own opinion) is it hard to have hamsters as pets? What is the hardest thing you need to do?

well actually they are the easiet pet to have they are the cheapest the vets can be the hardest thing if there is medication that has to be given sometimes it can be tricky lol

I totally agree. My family had--funny enough--a hamster called Vanilla. It was very easy to take care of but yeah, she was a handful when she actually got pregnant and gave birth. But cleaning up after her was relatively easy and she was a good pet. How long have you had yours?

hi i have had fudge for nearly two years and sparkle a few months now she is six months old and crystal three weeks she is now eleven weeks old :-D :-) XD

Do they need a lot of space? How big is their box? And if you let them out in your room do they intend to make a mess?

hi they dont need alot of space but they need enough room to play with there toys in there cage or they get bored they do need a bigish area to run when put in there ball to run and get some exercise. lol yes they do make a little mess sawdust does tend to get everywhere i have to hoover up every day but its worth it i wouldnt change them for the world :-D :-D :-D :-D

Well then that is not too much work. I really didn't have any experience with hamsters but I can imagine that they can be very interesting when running in the ball. :-)
What kind of toys do they have?

well they have wheels in their cages fudge has a seesaw and a wooden log toy and a giant strawberry lol. sparkle also has a seesaw hers is different and a little blue ball and a house that she sleeps in and crystal has a plastic lion and plastic pear to sleep in and a little cardboard tube she needs a bigger cage really when i have anew job i will buy her one and get them all new toys :-D :-D

I stumbled one on some toys for hamsters and I look at these big corn and carrot chewing toys. I'm not sure but I think hamsters like to chew stuff. Right?
I'm just interested, concerning that you have them as pets for a long time, do they chew out they toys fast?

Hi lausmokey, hamsters are adorable for sure :-D My son and his wife have 2 of them, gummi bear and twix, they were named after favorite candy, lol. They have been married for 6 years and had the same hamsters before that. They keep them in seperate quarters as they fuss with each other to much. The house is a good size rubber made tote, see thru. They are sitting side by side so as they can peep and chirp at each other. My son moved one of the houses to the other side of the room and twix went crazy, she could not see her pal gummi bear. As soon as he put them side by side, all was well again.

The hamsters are like their kids o.O They have a rolling ball that they go into and roll themselves all over the place. If one of them rolls itself to one part of the room, the other will roll itself over to that one, it's like hamster bumper ball.