Hi, I have a friend who goes to hypnotherapy to help her lose weight. I am not convinced as she is that this type of treatment is the right answer. In fact I am most concerned for her well-being. I always thought that hypnosis is used for mind control and treatment of crazy people and not for solving common problems. Can you explain how she came to the idea that hypnotherapy can help her lose weight? Maybe the therapist used mind control to make her believe that this is possible?

You have formed your opinion on hypnotherapy based on the movies where hypnosis is used to make people totally lose control over their will and go around doing whatever hypnotist tells them. The respectable hypnosis therapist of today uses his knowledge to help patient to strengthen their will and not undermine it. However because the person in the state of hypnosis is susceptible to suggestion the idea that some therapist with not so honorable motives can use this fact to manipulate is not that unbelievable. But don't worry I am sure that your friend is in good hands. And believe it or not hypnotherapy is used today not only for weight loss, but also for stress relief, anxiety attacks, arthritis, pain relief and many other medical conditions.