Hey everyone,

I have a Maltese, she is five years old now and I’ve recently noticed a lump on her paw, just between her toes. I tried soaking her foot in Epsom salts, I thought that the lump was gone but now I see another one in it’s place.

I’m getting really scared because I’ve read somewhere on the internet that she might have cancer. Is that true? Can it be?

I’m crazy about my dog and I couldn’t stand if anything happened to her. The vet I consulted told me that it is probably just an irritation, but I need to make sure. Can it really be cancer?

Hey Dalmatian_lover

I’m sorry to tell you but there is a chance that your dog has cancer. You need to take your dog to a good vet because if your dog really has cancer, if you find it out in an early stage, there is still a lot you can do. It can be just an irritation, it can be a digital corn, or a cyst. Both digital corn and cyst can mean cancer, so you need to check it out as fast as possible. If it happens that it is cancer, your dog might have to get his paw pads amputated, his toes or in the worst case, his leg.

Hey there.

I am sorry about your dog, I can understand what you are going through. It can be an infection, but there is a chance for a cancer as well. :/

Vet will always tell you that this is a potential cancer sign, so you really need to be very careful about this.

Dogs are really sensitive, and all dogs can be affected with several types of skin tumors – even on their toes. When you notice some lump on their paw, you should visit your vet immediately.

There is a possibility that it is nothing serious, but still…you don’t want to risk, right? 

Look, if I were you I would go to the vet first thing in the morning. That would be my first advice. Let him see the lump.

And the second one would be- there is no need to panic. Wait until the vet tells you what caused the lump.

Internet is not a very good place for making diagnoses.  I once typed in the symptoms of my frequent headaches and ended up finding that I have brain cancer. So, internet is not reliable. It can be cancer, but it can also be a simple allergic reaction or an irritation like that vet suggested.

Be calm, take your dog to the vet and let us know what he had told you.

Hello. You should not panic, that is the worst thing that you can do. Did you visit the vet today? No? If you didn’t, that is the best option you can do. You can’t see this lump and tell us what do you think, how this lump is looking like. Of course that paw lump can mean that you dog can have some cancer, but we can never tell now when you are trying to explain us the situation of this lump. That is why you need to visit vet and let him see it. Is it infected? Is it huge? 

Causes of paw lumps could be minor, but there are also some causes that could be very serious and even deadly. That includes cancer too.
It is very common that a dog has a foreign body stuck in its paw pad. It can be foreign bodies such as seeds and grass awns that caused the infection. But that’s relatively easily fixable.
On the other hand it can be Digital Squamous Cell Carcinom a which is the most common type of malignant cancer of dog toe. It is of course life threatening. The treatment involves surgery.
So, my point is, paw lump is something that needs to be examined as soon as it appears.

Yes, of course. I can’t agree more with you. Dogs can be affected with several types of skin tumors, even on their toes and feet. Well, the most common type of tumor which affect toes is a squamous cell carcinoma. It can be described as a malignant tumor, so that is why we are telling you one more time – if you didn’t visit your vet, you should do it immediately. Yes, it can be deadly, I know this because my ex – wife’s dog died because of it. She didn’t care too much when he came back one day from the yard with lump on his leg. Be careful.