For almost two years, i have had this huge lump of gunk of mucous stuck in the back of my throat or vocal cords where ever.. alls i know is when i swallow its horrendous i can feel it when i swallow, eat, drink, it drives me insane, the only thing i can do to not panic and choke is to try hacking it out, which then makes me gag cuz its soo thick, i do get some of it out, but the lump of gunk never goes away even if i hack out pounds of it for twenty minutes, i cannot take it anymore its soo awful.. i think im making it worst by hacking cuz now once in a while i am getting a slight burning sensation up my throat (acid) from hacking so much all night and day i am damaging my esophagus, not good. when i hack i gag and almost throw up.. the mucous sometimes is clear, sometimes comes out as gel like round balls of yellowish color.. most of the time clear and very THICk - last night before bed i had been out bowling so i resisted the hack, clear the throat thing.. omg when i got home i just hacked once, and this HUGE ball of white like slime came out and the texture was like slime you could stretch it back & forth .. i feel like im going crazy i cannot live this anymore i cannot do it.. i also went to ent, they put the scope down my throat, he saw nothing, but redness, said i would need another test to make sure not gerd, went to gastro, got a endoscopy, was terrified to get it done, and my luck of course, i woke up during the procedure they didnt knock me out enough, but i was out of it, so when i woke up i was disorientated i bolted up right with the huge scope down my throat, (tear my throat all up inside) hurt for 3wks.. (but the hacking mucous issue was already there)  but i do think this made it worst.. it seems much worst now the mucous issue. anyway they said looked fine.. redness and swelling. i do not have allergies..  please if you have any thoughts suggestions or cure , please help me , i feel like jumping off a bridge..    sincerely darcy,

***post is edited by moderator *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

email if you need it.. 

Darcy - This must be very scary for you. We are going through this very thing right now with my Dad, and he can barely take another day. Doctors have yet to see anything on x-ray to explain it. Until we find solution, all I can suggest is drink lots of water to try and thin it out. We give him lots of tea with ginger, lemon, honey etc. These are not solutions just suggestions to calm the situation. Don't give up hope. There has got to be a remedy out there.

Hi Darcy. Go to an acupuncturist. There is a diagnosis for this in Chinese medicine. You will need several treatments, so don't expect it to be gone after one, but that is your only hope. Western medicine just gives drugs and has no diagnosis for this.

Darsey -

I’ve posted similar thoughts to some sites but this information is worth repeating –

I’ve been reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I’ve been there – done that for many years. I’ve seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx’s. I’ve been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I’m not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I’ve come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator.  When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad] in your system – this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I’m not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I’ve pieced together with some research] There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them – doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I’ve been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I was taking 3 capsules 2X daily and then backed off] This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot – maybe 80% or more. [I’m reluctant to say that I’m cured]

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren’t a solution for me – Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure but I still use Flonase. So thanks to another on-line posting, I use lemon water to cut any drip. The best addition has been the use of Quercetin [a supplement which is an natural anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine] So far, so good! It seems to be working.

I hope this information works for you. Do your own research on this. If it does work, pass the word around on the various message boards (as well as your own doctors) since traditional medicine is in the fog about this issue. I also recommend reading Dr. Mark Stengler’s writings about “Chronic Sinusitis A Natural Cure” [Many sites prevent hyperlinks to other sites but you can Google him]. Good luck.

i have heard the spleen regulates mucous - maybe you need to do your own research or find a homeopathic doctor because there is somethiing wrong.

I hear you. My first attack was on a Mediterranean cruise. A lady sat beside me in the theatre and she was doused with perfume. My throat immediately closed up and I began choking. I never cleared up and in Barcelona, I had another attack in a store that was so bad I ran outside and was folded over on the street trying to breathe. People were looking at me like I was just some crazy person. I have not had the mucus consistently until a few months ago, and now it has not gone away. My sister has had this problem for over 6 years. I don't know how she has stood it as I want to rip my throat out. You can't breathe, you always have a big ball of mucus in your throat and when you start to choke, it is really frightening. I have tried all the naturopath suggestions, which do break up the mucus - especially oil of oregano - but the mucus comes back as fast as you can spit it out. I do know the body produces mucus to protect itself from inflammation and infection... so... where is the inflammation and infection? And, how does one find out? I feel your pain and frustration.

Also investigate relationship between dairy products and mucous production.

Try Claritin D for the mucus, & dropping mucus-causing gluten from your diet.

Also, for the vomiting try biting a tiny piece of pickled umeboshi plum from the health food store or a prescription of Compazine in suppository form.

I am not a doctor, but these are the ONLY things that work for me, and that clear slime lump is just too familiar so I had to respond. I hope these things work for ypu too!!

I am so happy to Finally reply back to someone with a cure!!!! It helped me almost immediately!!! Go to cvs or walgreens and look for Paragone, it has this tincture bottle inside. Put 7-10 drops on your tongue, let it kinda marinate towards the back of your tongue for as long as you can (like 3 minutes is good) and then swallow it. You will be amazed!!! after prayers and more prayers, I was so happy to finally get relief from this mucous!!!!

I have had this problem all my life.Tried numerous drugs.Nothing worked.Finally gave up.Then in 2001,i was in an accident and the dr prescribed me hydro codeine for pain and miraculously I quit clearing my throat.So I have been taking a low dose hydro codeine pain killer ever since.It works but doctors think your crazy if you mention it.So I have to get the pain meds for my broken neck but actually I need them for my throat.Only thing,they are addictive.