this is weird, but for the past couple of days, i have muscle twitches on all parts of my body. i've read that this is called muscle fasciculation, but it happens almost constantly and to various muscles all over my body. should i be concerned?

Sometimes this due to lack of water. How much water do you drink a day. It's recomended to drink about 8, 8oz glasses of water a day. I know it sounds alot, but in actuallity it is not.

Hi Friskyfox, actually, that's not entirely true. It is a common misunderstanding that you are supposed to drink that much water. IN fact if you do, you may flush out good vitamins from your body. It's best to just drink water when you are thirsty. Muscl twitches are usually caused by vitamin E deficiency which can flushed out by drinking too much water. Crazy, right? :)

It makes sense. Drinking that much water is purposely recommended on certain diets to flush out certain toxins in your body, such as large amounts of yeast, as well as sodium and water. These can contribute to weight gain baised on water retension in certain parts of the body: ankles, fingers, abdominal area. Along with the toxins, vitamins your body did not absorb well would also go bye, bye.

I did not know that vitamin E (or lack there of) was the culprit though, that is interesting.
Where did you find your information?

Men's health magazine, believe it or not. I read it a lot and it was very helpful because I had this awful twitch over my eyelid for weeks. I started taking some vitamin e supplements and it totally helped. Does that help? I know it might not seem like the most credible source but I've found that they're a pretty reliable medical resource.

Vitamin D is also a good vitamin for your muscles. Sometimes being low on Vit D will cause your muscles to do weird things.

Yeah, actually, I forgot to mention that. I drink so much milk that I don't even think to mention vitamin D because I get so much of it! You have to be careful not to take too much but a glass or two per day should be enough though.

I have a Vit D defiency and was prescribed a high dose of Vitamin D. Doing research on the subject I discovered that if you live in a climate where there is not much sunshine or are unable to go outside due to winter weather you are more likely to have this defiency.
So while for most people a couple glasses of milk will take care of their Vit D levels some it will not.
If you really want to know if you are low in Vit D a simple blood test will tell.

kariB, that makes a lot of sense. Just a little bit of sun per day can really make a difference for vitamin D. I seem to remember thinking that bananas also were a good source as well, although maybe I'm mistaken. That's a good idea though to get a blood test.

i think you may be mistaken bananas are a very good source of potassium though.