Because of all of the worry I have gone through, I just wanted to post a note about my 6 year old daughter's recovery post tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy.

Day 1 of surgery: Did so much better than I ever thought possible. She was in pain but minimal and wanted to eat everything in site but I wouldn't let her, of course. She was home 2 hours after surgery and feeling pretty normal despite some minor pain.

Day 2: Same as day 1 with the exception of a little more pain but still wanting to eat and drink normally, finally let her have ice cream and pudding. She wanted pizza! LOL Still giving her her pain meds (liquid Lortab) every 4 hours.

Day 3: A bit more pain, but still manageable. WAnting to eat still and drinking plenty of fluids. Started giving her pain meds every 5 hours instead of every 4.

Day 4: Woke up in PAIN!!! Poor kid just did a 180 from before. Didn't want to eat or drink. Not wanting to take pain meds or anything. Still allowing me to make her sip water, broth and gatorade though and I make her take her meds though she does not want to.

Day 5: Worse than day 4. Woke up and took her Lortab and said her tummy hurt and threw up. CAlled the doc, he said don't give her the pain meds anymore, just give Children's liquid Tylenol. Poor kid doesn't want to drink at all. Noticed today she has canker sores... 5 of them on her tongue. She says they hurt bad. Not wanting to move it hurts her so bad. Doesn't want to talk.

Day 6: Much like day 5 minus the throw up but complains of her tummy hurting very badly and doesn't want to take anything by mouth because of those canker sores.

Day 7: Even worse than day 6. Her tummy hurts very badly and she's crying. I ended up taking her to the ER last night during the night because of her severe tummy pain. They said she's constipated. Did an enema this morning and it helped a little with her tummy pain for a while but back in the evening.

Day 8: Still with the tummy pain. I tried some canker sore medicine on her tongue last night during the night which burned like heck but then they were better completely, no more pain in her mouth, thank goodness. Also bought some Maalox and gave her a tsp of that when she complained of her tummy pain which helped. Called her doc today and told them about her tummy pain and they said stop the Maalox, it's not for kids. Get her some Children's Maalox or Mylanta. So I went out and couldn't find that anywhere. Despite their orders, I did give her the Maalox 2 more times because her stomach hurt so bad.

Day 9: Woke up with a terrible sore throat. I have been looking at her throat daily and this is the first time I have noticed some of the scabbing is gone. Probably is more sore now because of that. she doesn't want to eat or drink again. Had been able to at least get her to drink 10 oz of water per day before now, which is not nearly enough, but it was something. Now she doesn't want anything. I called her doc to see if this was normal. they want to see her to possibly get her some IV fluids. I told her that and she made a quick turn of events. She started drinking ... drank 10 oz of water within 1/2 hour. drank 8 oz of soy milk shortly thereafter and ate a small amount of mac n cheese. So I cancelled the doc appt. She continued to do well throughout that day!! :-)

Day 10: Woke up with a tummy ache but it was soon settled with just a plain piece of bread and some water. She took some Tylenol and went back to sleep. Woke up much better and is now on the road to recovery.

Day 11: Much better. No sore throat except for when she tried to eat a piece of a chicken patty... that's a no-no! LOL Anyway, still a little bit of a sore throat and cannot eat her regular diet but getting there. She is drinking adequately and slept through the night last night!!! YAY!! There is still a bit of scabbing on the left side of her throat but other than that it's all fallen off already.

Hopefully, this will help some of you moms who are up and worried and searching for answers about the recovery process. It's tough and all you want to do is see your child back to normal so badly. Just hang in there and definitely call for anything unusual like bleeding. I look in her throat 2 or 3 times every day just to be sure there is no bright red bleeding happening.

Thank you so much...I am one one of those moms searching for answers cause I cant sleep. 8-| I'm nervous, but only for her.

Thanks, This was super helpful!!!! My daughter has had a difficult recovery as well.

Thank you... but question... was this the Intrascapular tonsilectomy where they leave tissue behind, or the traditional one?

Hugs to your little girl.  Glad she's doign better!

Thanks so much my 6 year old daughter is having this done in a few hours time accept she stops breathing under anesthetic as she is allergic, i am terrified! but remaining positive hope she does well and puls through fast

Kat

Thank you for posting this! My 7yo just had the same procedure and we are at day 6. I've heard tons of stories of kids bouncing back after 3 or 4 days, but we are at day 6 with an awful sore throat, neck pain, and hardly eating, but drinking just fine. I still give her children's tylenol, but wonder will ask the dr if she needs the lorotab again to help with the pain. Tylenol seems to take the edge off the pain.

My 6 year old daugher had her's removed yesterday.  I'm on day 2 and it much like what you described.  She is very high spirited and restless.  She even told me she was bored and wanted to "old life back!" LOL  I'm waiting for the unbearable pain to set in.  She's eating and drinking farily normally and the Doc said as long as she's urinating twice a day we're doing ok.  I'm not sure what to expect moment to moment but for pain control we're alternating around the clock tylenol and motrin every three hours.  Reading your post helped.  Thank you! 

Hi to all, It has been an anxious few days. My 10yr old son has had his tonsils out 5 days ago and from the start has been in pain. he takes calpol (children's paracetamol) and Ibroprufen (children's one) every 2 hours, alternating this as prescribed by the surgeon. they stated he can take them together if the pain is severe. in addition he can take a codeine liquid as and when he needs it but it has to be space every 4 hours. although day 1 and 2 he was eating normally, he is now not eating much, and having to encourage to have small amounts of food. he is fine with drinking milk and is consuming this by the gallon! today, he has had a poached egg and has managed to force this down. he is generally eating toast and lots of jelly. we found by giving him his pain killers about 15-30 minutes before he eats help him to chew and swallow. he is extremely slow in eating which is understandable considering he is in so much pain. night times and first thing in the mornings are the worst for him. we feel that as it is important for him to get some sleep, we tell him to wake us up to give him the full dosage in the night when he needs it and we find that within 5 minutes he is settled back down until the morning. hope this helps any other parent out there who is worrying and struggling. keep helping them and try using distraction methods to also keep their minds focused on something they like to do without any exertion (like playing board games/drawing etc, as you dont want to cause further problems. my son says as i am typing: he says if your children like sport (which he loves football and cricket) dont do it as it will hurt your mouth.... i know as parents you would have been given this advice from the doctors. hope this helps regards fi

I went in to the hospital to have mine out on the first day of April vacation when I was 10, Surprise, surprise, my whole class was there, only one guy got out of it because he had a cold. They scheduled everyone one the first Saturday of spring vacation so we wouldn't miss any school --- aside from the pain how was your vacation kid?

The standing joke was that you get to live on ice cream for a couple weeks or more, we all knew about that. That was supposed to make us feel good about being suffocated with ether and having our nose and throat sliced up. You couldn't swallow because it was too painful but you could let the ice cream melt and sort of run down. Don't they tell anyone about that any more?

I don't remember any continuing pain except when I swallowed. I don't remember how long it took to get to where I could eat semi solid food except that it seemed like forever. Even a kid gets sick of ice cream after a while. Jello was pretty good and we had a custard type of dessert called Junket. I don't know if they still make that. Apple juice was another staple.