OK, my 15 year old daughter has such a big fear of needles that even talking about them makes her pass out. This fear recently came on. The first time she passed out was about a month ago when she was at the doctors for bronchitis. The doc wanted to give her a penicillin shot but she passed out before he could give it to her. Then about a minute later she passed out again. Yesterday I got a frantic call from her school saying that she either had a seizure or passed out and that EMS was there. Needless to say I sped to the school to be with her. She was taken to the ER where the doctor said she has a very common disorder because of her fear of needles. She passed out because her class was talking about the H1N1 vaccine clinic that the school is having on Monday. I don't know what to do to help her get over this fear. The doctor said that she will get over this in time. She hears the word needle or shot and she goes down. A lot think this is a stupid thing for her to fear but this is a real fear for her.

What may sound stupid and trivial to some people happens to be very real for your daughter. Certains fears and hangups can really affect ones quality of life. She has a phobia which can be treated with the help of a therapist. She has a whole lifetime ahead of her and she will come in contact with the word "needles" or the use of them thru out her lifetime. Hopefully she will marry and have children, now comes blood work, possibly the need for an IV, immunizations and so on.
Check with your insurance carrier and see if it covers counseling, then find one that specializes in phobias. Many people have many and odd phobias. Some are afraid to fly, some are afraid to touch dirt, some refuse to come out of their home, my neighbor had a fear of velcro, another friend of mine refused to drink out of a plastic cup, these are all hang ups and there are a million more.

Your daughter should not feel ashamed in any way, for her this is a real thing and can be fixed. Get her some counseling now so she can continue to live a normal and healthy and productive life.

The fear of needles may seem stupid to someone who isn't bothered by them but it's a serious problem for some who is, and she has a lot of company.

I remember the shot lines when I was army basic training. They would have a "nurse" on each side giving us shots in both arms. Of course the lines were quite long with several hundred guys in line. There was a lot of talking going on as we were waiting and most of it from big mouthed tough guys. As we got closer to the shooters, people started going down. It was usually the big bad guys who dropped before even getting the shots. Then there were some who passed out when they got to the needles and then the ones who slowly went down walking away after the shots. They looked like the comedian who walks down an imaginary flight of stairs.

I don't personally know anyone who likes getting a needle but I suppose there must be someone somewhere. I'm not crazy about it but I tolerate it. My toleration has improved greatly in the 13 years since having heart bypass surgery due to having to go in for blood tests so often now. My veins seem to know when it's coming and they hide. I feel like I'm a walking test station for phlebotomists. They try the crook of my right arm first. Hardly anyone can find it in there but some like to poke around after they're in there, looking for it. Failing there they head for my left arm and do it all again. Then they go to the back of a hand then the other hand and finally the side of my arm just above the wrist where there is an obvious vein sticking right out and calling to them.

I used to look away and sometimes when they had trouble finding a vein I might even feel like I was about to pass out. Now after having so much experience in recent years, I usually watch them do it, and joke with them about it if they are the type who can take it. Some take themselves so seriously, you can't even talk to them.

I never heard of any therapy as bbfeet9 mentioned, but I hope there is, it must be terrible for your daughter.

Try her on a homeopathic remedy; specifically Silicea (silica) 200C. Talk to a homeopath about how she should take this. It matters how it is taken. Three 200C doses in three days should be enough, then maybe a single maintenance dose at 3-6 months.

my fifteen year old does the same thing..today at school just talking about shots she went out..It is scary. she has even been tested for seizure disorders because she tends to "draw up" when she passes out..I too do not know what to do for her