For the past few days my 3 1/2 year old daughter has been SCREAMING HOLY TERROR that her private hurts. She even has been waking in the middle of the night screaming of the same thing. A few times, while giving her a bath, she screamed for a few minutes that the soap hurt her. She will not stop picking at herself. I spoke with the doctor and they simply advised to put baking soda in the bath and not to wash her hair and to allow her to breathe. If it doesn't stop they want a urine sample. However, I finally got her to let me look today, and I found no discharge, however I saw bumps all over her labia, clitoris and rectum. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I can't take her screaming anymore. I feel SO HORRIBLE and I don't know what to do or what could be wrong with her. I am overly paranoid about sexual abuse. Does this sound like it could be?? What does this sound like? HELP!!

The only way this could be an STD (oh God) is if someone was doing something sexually to your daughter.

Another reason could be that maybe your little girl touches and plays with her genitals, (a lot) Have you noticed any strange activity from her or any one who comes in contact with her?
I don't understand what the not washing her hair or allowing her to breath means.

I would NOT wait to see if any thing cleared up. I would demand that my daughters Doctor started testing NOW. If her Doctor tries to sugar coat the situation, switch pediatricians.
Have you brought the bumps to your pedi's attention since the last visit? You really should.

I don't know about the baking soda. Since she has boo boo's on and around her genitalia, baking soda is very salty, i would think it would sting and burn. Baking soda is used in the bath for mild rashes and the like.

I don't think this is sexually related. Why would you ask that question? Are you uncomfortable with the people that surround your daughter?

Maybe I didn't really make my post clear. I called the doctor, never went in (and this was before I had seen the bumps). I told them that she had been screaming that her privates hurt, even waking in the middle of the night, but that it did not seem to be caused by urination (my first thought was a UTI). Over the phone, they told me to give her a cool bath with baking soda in it ( they said it would be soothing) and to make sure she aired out well ( to not cause yeast to grow). They did not really say what they thought it was, just to try this.

My daughter is not "playing with herself". It is grabbing and itching and screaming in pain. Not like a new found exciting interest. She is only doing it while she is screaming and crying. That's why I said she wouldn't stop picking at herself, not playing.

And it is not that I do not trust those she is around per se, as she is always with me (except when she is at her father's). I just happen to be hyper-sensitive to molestation being an issue with any little girl. Remember, it is one in every three girls. I feel people ignore the issue too much and I do not want to be a parent that overlooks this or ignores any warning signs. My mother, my father, my boyfriend, two of my friends five children, and my very close friends (girls) all were sexually abused. It is just a very sensitive topic for me and I will be devastated if I find out of any kind of abuse done to my daughter, especially if it was over a prolonged period due to my negligence of paying attention to the signs.

I simply wanted to know if this sounded like it could be a cause. That's all.

I really just want to know what the heck these bumps are. It really freaked me out. I don't know what it could be, and everytime I do searches, I don't come up with much.

Oh yea, I gave her the bath with the baking soda and she seemed to be very soothed and has not complained since. That is good. I am wondering if it is due to poor wiping.

I didn't mean to upset you. I hope i did not offend you when i suggested that your little one may be touching and playing with her genitals. This is a very common and normal thing for a young child to do. There are times when they can actually irritate themselves by doing this. That is the reason why i asked that question,. You posted a question and concern, my intent was to try to help you the best i could using some of my experiences as a mother of 5 children.
As far as the molestation issue, which i never used the word molestation.
One of comments was that you were overly paranoid about sexual abuse and does this situation sound like it could be that?
I answered your question accordingly. I am sure you are a wonderful parent with genuine concerns about your little girl. I am sorry that so many of your friends and family had to go thru such an experience. It was never my intent to even suggest that something may be going on with your daughter. You brought it up, i answered accordingly.
I am positive that this is a concern for any parent, i know it is with me as well. Now i am a gramma, it's a whole new generation to watch out for.
I am glad the bath made her feel better. I just remember one time my daughter mistakingly put baking soda on my grandsons diaper rash instead of corn starch, he screamed bloody murder untill she got him into a tub of cool water.
Anyway, maybe the bumps could be an allergy of some sort. Maybe it's your laundry soap or fabric softner. Maybe it's the kind of material that are in her panties. Cotton crotches are the best.
I hope you can figure out what the problem is. But since you gave her a soak in the tub you say she is feeling much better. I am glad. And again, if i offended you in any way, please accept my apology.

Has your daughter taken any anti biotics lately?
Or has she had alot of acidy foods/drinks lately?
She could have a yeast infection.
Just as adults, children get them too by taking anti biotics, diet, etc.

Have you tried OTC cream for yeast infection or cortisone cream?
Might be worth a try.

I was not upset by your post. I was just trying to clarify the things I had written previously. I did not say she was playing with herself, rather grabbing in pain. And I was not upset or offended by this. I have been around many many children that do this, and I know it is a very normal thing. And yes, I did ask if molestation could be a cause. I was not offended by anything you say. So though your apology was not needed, I do accept it. I spoke with my mother's friend, who has been a nurse for 30 years or so, and she said if we were using dryer sheets it could easily be that. Apparantly dryer sheets have fiberglass in them and it can get stuck to underwear and therefore cause cuts and an allergic reaction. She does only wear all cotton underwear, so that is not the issue. I am rewashing all of her underwear and am switching to liquid softener. She has not been screaming anymore.

I do not believe it is a yeast infection as she has absolutely no discharge, although who knows. She has not had any antibiotics or acidic foods/drinks. Well, I am going to see if the bumps go away in a few days. I HOPE SO!! If not, I will call the doctor again and have them see her.

Thanks for your help!

I DON'T KNOW IF I AM IN THE RIGHT SPOT BUT WHY IS IT THAT SHE DOESN'T LIKE ME TO WASH HER DOWN THERE..IT HAS TO GET CLEAN ..SHOULD I CALL THE DOCTOR..WHAT SHOULD I DO...

Your little girl is 2, show her how to wash her private parts herself. Give her the washcloth with a small amount of baby soap and show her how to do it.
She doesn't like it, or she won't let you? Sometimes little girls are ultra sensitive down there. Just be gentle. Get her attention in the tub by offering a distraction of some sort (standing up). Don't go directly to her privates but start giving her a normal wash up and work down.
If the washcloth is the problem, put some baby soap in your hand and and go that way, quick and fast.
Now that your little one is 2, you are going to see some weird changes in her, it's called the terrible 2's.
Good Luck ;-)

My daughter had something like this too and it was food allergies. I would get her tested for a infection. I did and my the test come out neg. for an infection and then we looked into allergies.

It is common of the Doctors to suggest Baking soda if they suspect the genital area is just irritated, they told me the same exact thing,

and yes in your case it worked with to use it so stay away from toilet paper use baby wipes only my childs dr. said to not use tp due to it getting stuck in the crevas of her lips...which would cause irritation plus STOP BUBBLE BATHS They are Terrible for the Skin too harsh on and does hurt them this also includes those bath paints! 1

do not use soap to clean her pee pee!!! can cause irretation. just use a wet washcloth to clean it you have natural antibodies and if you wash them away with soap you are asking for an infection to happen. any obgyn will tell you this. also when you wash her wash her in a shower not a bath the soaps can get in her genitals and cause an infection. give her a bath of just water and some toys to play with. also use anti-fungal foot cream yes foor cream and put on it it works way better than any "butt" cream honestly. its what i use on my 3 yr old since she was 1 1/2 due to skin allergies and food allergies doctor recomended. or try vagisil this may work also.  let her run around naked if you can so that she can be free of clothing rubbing her and irritating her skin.   my daughter is going thru this same thing right now and from my past experiences these seem to work the best. hope all goes well.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your daughter? I have a 3 year old and I am experiencing the same thing she is constantly complaint her private hurts. I have taken her to several doctors and nothing has been done

Vaginas are pretty good at self-maintenance, but sometimes it can get pretty uncomfortable down there — even in a toddler vagina. Just like fully grown ones, a child’s vagina is susceptible to itchiness, irritation, or even infection. As a mom your challenge is to figure out when your little girl has a vaginal problem and how to solve it — or better still, how to prevent it in the first place. Tricky on all fronts (and bottoms), since your little one doesn’t yet have the body awareness or vocabulary to tell you what’s up down there — or the patience to perform proper vaginal hygiene (or any other part of her toddler grooming routine). Here are some tips on how to keep the toddler vagina healthy and avoid the most common causes of irritation.

Wipe the right way. When you’re cleaning up during a diaper change, always wipe your toddler’s vagina from front to back to avoid spreading bacteria that can cause an infection. (Give a play-by-play as you wipe her, too, so she’ll know the drill when she’s mastered toilet-training and takes over this task.)Check crevices. If you’re changing a poopy diaper (especially if she has loose stools), clean the crevices around your child’s vagina and labia. There is no need to wipe away whitish discharge inside the labia since that’s perfectly normal (but do call the pediatrician if this discharge suddenly changes in amount, color, or odor).Keep irritants away from your child’s vagina. Choose unscented, alcohol-free soaps, body washes, bath oils, wipes, lotions, and creams, which are less likely to irritate your toddler’s tender vagina. And avoid bubble baths altogether, which can irritate and even lead to a urinary tract infection, or UTI.Save the shampoo and soap for last. Many toddlers love spending time in the tub, and that’s fine (and fun). But since you really don’t want your tot sitting in dirty, soapy, and potentially irritating suds while she plays, soap her up and shampoo her at the end of the bath. When it’s time to wash your child’s vagina, rinse it with fresh water using a washcloth or cup to remove any soap residue. Then whisk your toddler out of the tub before she plops back down into the bubbly brine (it helps if you start draining the tub while you’re rinsing).Keep the area dry. After diaper changes and bath time, pat your toddler dry before you put on diaper cream or dress her. If she gets wet from swimming or splashing outside, peel off her wet clothes or bathing suit as soon as you can — too much moisture can also irritate the sensitive skin around your child’s vagina. And when she's finishedpotty training and starts wearing underwear (yay!), choose all-cotton panties that allow the area to breathe (other fabrics trap moisture and perspiration, which can irritate the vagina).If your toddler seems to be in pain after she pees, or her vaginal area seems red, she may have an inflammation of the vagina or vulva (also called vaginitis). If the steps above don’t help, check with your pediatrician for advice. You’ll also need to call the doc if your daughter experiences pain or stinging while she’s urinating — she could have a UTI.

Hi,I was reading about your daughter problems ok my daughter had the same as she now 6 years old she had it very long time.. please don't use SOAP so i use for my daughter PINETARSOL GEL as my specilaist dr gave me those tip as just use little bit in bath and leave as natural as my daughter also growing pubic hair very sad to see early age. so try what i said and let me know how u goes in few days ok, I hope this helps you. save the pain for your daughter.Please get referral to see specialist as it very helpful so remember no soap..All the best.

UR daugther has a UTI - go to doctor immediately.  Dont use message boards to treat your children...use doctors.