Hi everyone. I am feeling a bit down these days. I don’t know what it is. I assume it’s just the autumn, this happens to me very often when the rains start.And the other day, I was home alone, it was raining and I was depressed, and just when I though my day could not get any worse, a friend called. She told me her dog has parvovirus.

I love that dog and that ruined my whole week. I am so afraid he wont be able to make it since he is so skinny and weak already.Can you tell me something about treatment options for this type of virus? 

I am really sorry to hear this, especially because we know that parvo is so deadly :/  The prevention is to vaccinate your dog, but since her dog was already diagnosed with parvovirus, here are some advice of treatment. First thing that vet will do is to isolate this dog into a cage. It is for prevention. The second thing that the vet will do is to prescribe some antibiotics, which will kill secondary bacterial infections. I really can’t say which antibiotics your vet will prescribe, because all cases are different. But, she needs to take this dog to the vet as soon as possible. 

I am so sad to hear this, especially if you say that this dog is weak and skinny already. I really hope that everything is going to be ok with this dog :/ I know that sometimes home treatment is acceptable if your dog has parvovirus. But, before you take this choice, you should keep in mind that if that dog is weak, chances are really small. So, hospitalization is something the best for your dog, trust me. She really should take that dog to the vet and let him judge should she treat him in the hospital or at the home. 

That is really sad story. I hate this virus, my sister lost her dog because of parvo :( I don’t want to remember this, it makes me sad. It makes me sad every time when I hear that some dog has this stupid virus :/

Parvo is one of the most common and deadliest viruses that unvaccinated dogs tend to get, so I really just can’t believe that she didn’t vaccinate her dog, especially if you are saying that this dog is really skinny and week :/

I really can’t help you, I am not a vet, and she really should visit the vet and let him tell her what are the best treatment options in that case. 

My youngest dog, he is now 3 years old, had some type of parvovirus. I have found him on the street in a box. He was less than a month old. His eyes were still not open. There was two of them, he was the male and there was a girl with him. She was so fragile and after I took them to the shelter, they called me to tell me that she didn’t make it. An hour later I came and took him with me. Since then, we’re inseparable.
When he had this virus he was very weak, the treatment was mostly antibiotics and hoping for the best.

And I forgot to mention that there was actually a time while he had this virus, when his body started to become cold. His body temperature was decreasing and I panicked. He was so little, just a puppy. I took him to the vet and he couldn’t do anything, to me it seemed as if he had already been given up.

I don’t know what happened, while returning from the vet (it was very sunny and I carried him in my arms hoping his temperature will increase to normal again), he suddenly got better. Just like that. One of the luckiest moments of my life.

Like others said, antibiotics are his best chance followed by probiotics which control the vomiting and intravenous fluid for rehydration.

Although many don’t recommend any home treatment, here are some things your friend can do for her dog. Tell her to feed him frequently with small amounts of warmed chicken broth to stop the vomiting. Once the vomiting has stopped, tell her to add mashed potato (without salt and/or butter) to the mixture. If her dog is allergic to chicken she can use rice and cottage cheese instead. This meat broth is used for rehydration of sick dogs and is much better than any high-carb drinks. 

The treatment of parvovirus is exclusively performed by veterinarians. This is a serious virus and don’t try to treat your dog only at home, it won’t be enough. 

Treatment at the vet clinic usually includes :

- Antibiotics. They’re used to prevent septicemia 

- Probiotics.  Used to replenish the normal intestinal flora 

- Very often vets use injectable vitamins, especially B & C. This is in order  to help the immune system

-  and finally, colostrum - to provide antibacterial elements to fight the infection . 

Sometimes glucosamine is also included in the treatment to coat the intestines.

You should also provide proper home care.