Well my name's James, and I'm a 13 year old guy, about 5'9. I'm at 140 lbs, and I'd love to lose like 10-20 lbs of weight. I've got fat thighs and a bit of a big stomach, really like to ditch for the summer. I play sports often, but I still seem to never lose any weight from that. My mom hates it when I don't eat tons of carbs, and she and my dad get all mad saying I don't eat properly, so I need some way to lose weight that isn't too obvious, like eating 0 carbs. Please help! :)

Hello James and thanks for posting your question.  First, I want to address your body image.  At the age of 13, and still developing, you are by no means overweight.  You said you are 5'9" and active in sports.  What you didn't mention is what you are doing on a daily basis to activate your system.  Do you walk or jog???  Being physically active on a daily basis should help kick start your metabolism and get you going.  You also didn't mention what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Remember....to lose weight you MUST EAT!  You will not lose weight by starving yourself.  What will then happen is your metabolism slows down because your body thinks it is in starvation mode.  Then when you do eat...your body will hang onto whatever you eat and store it as fat. Processed food is not too good for any "body".  If you don't have an issue with "grains"...here is something to try:

BREAKFAST:  Oatmeal mixed with raisins, half a banana, 1/2 teaspoon ground flaxseed and 1 teaspoon raw, unfiltered honey.  Also, 1 egg with toast and butter (1 tspoon or 1 pat of butter) plus 1/2 slice of bacon.  Now, that may sound like a lot but breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  The saying goes:  Eat like a KING for breakfast...Eat like a QUEEN for lunch...Eat like a PAUPER for Dinner.  Why???  Because you must get your metabolism going first thing in the morning following a good night's sleep.  Breakfast truly means...BREAK THE FAST.  You don't need to eat as much for lunch as you would consume for breakfast.  Dinner is the lightest meal of the day because your body is getting ready to slow down for the evening thus burning less calories and then it is time for sleep and rest.  It is very difficult for the body to digest a large meal, late in the day or to even fall asleep after a huge meal.  This is a cycle that keeps going and growing until the weight is on and unmanageable.

Lunch could be tuna salad sandwich on sprouted whole wheat bread like "Rudy's" by the Alvarado Bakery or Whole Wheat Sprouted by Alvarado Bakery.  Along with your sandwich have an apple or pear and 1/4 cup of mixed nuts (no peanuts or pistachio nuts).  I break up my nuts throughout the afternoon and don't eat them in one sitting.

For dinner...4-6 ounces of a cooked protein like chicken or fish (baked, sauteed or grilled) with vegetables and a sweet potato.  Use sea salt only and use it sparingly.  The body needs the nutrients plus minerals that are found in this type of salt.  Trace minerals are so important in helping keep the body balanced.  Of course, when you are exercising you need to re-hydrate with fluid.  That should be WATER and not gaterade or some other sugary type drink or soda, okay???  Throughout your day you must hydrate with water because that helps flush your system.  I drink a lot and wouldn't expect someone to drink what I do.  I drink 1 gallon of water throughout my day. 

There is no magic pill, diet or any fad that will work.  You can lose weight but you won't keep it off if you don't change the way you look at food.  Food is for survival, nutrition and to keep your body healthy.  Eating small amounts throughout the day works for many.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner are a must.  Eating 5-6 meals a day will keep you from ever feeling hungry but keep your metabolism working.  What I do then when I choose to eat smaller but more frequently is eat the same types of food like from lunch but eat a smaller lunch and then 2 hours or so later eat another smaller lunch.  How that could work is make a sandwich for lunch and cut it in half plus your fruit and cut it in half.  That way you will have your next meal made and ready to eat.  I do the same for dinner.  I eat a smaller dinner then eat again 2 hours later, if I am hungry and finish with fruit.

By the way, dessert is a downfall and usually way too sweet and sugary.  If you feel you want that...make sure you eat it with dinner and not many hours later by itself.  The reason being...when eaten with dinner the body will digest it differently than if it is eaten alone when it sugar shocks the body.  Stay away from processed snacks and foods.  That is stuff that comes out of a can, for instance.  Fruits and vegetables should be fresh.  Vegetables can be frozen and that is okay.  Stay away from frozen meals...they tend to be too high in sodium and absolutely have next to no nutritional value.

Whole foods are better than processed foods.  Read labels, too.  If you can pronounce it than okay (in general).  If you cannot pronounce it then stay away from it.  Don't eat stuff that is specifically labeled "diet" foods or drinks.  Whole foods are much better for you and your body.

Eat for the best and rest of your life.

Thanks Knot... The problem is, I do jog for an hour usually each day. And it's a heavy jog, hill training sometimes. I eat relatively healthy, usually with a muffin for breakfast, a fruit for a snack, sandwich for lunch, more fruit, and at dinner salad and whatever else there is. Theoretically I shouldn't be gaining weight. But I always seem to have 1-2 lbs more a month than the last one! I really lowered my calories and carbs a few months back, stayed like that for 3 months. In the first one I lost 2 lbs a week, then 1lb a week, then I stopped losing weight even though I was doing the same things. Now I'm back to gaining weight even though I've got plenty of excercise and healthy eating. Not to mention the fact that I drink NO soda, and eat nearly 0 junk food. I really am not a fan of my image, and quite jealous of my friends who have 6 packs. I somewhat do, but still have some fat on my stomach. And my legs are HUGE. I just really want to rid of the excess fat... But really, the strangest part must be that I'm about the fittest in my grade. I've got one of the best endurances in no matter what sport, make almost every sport team at school, and I'm one of the strongest if not the strongest in my grade. I was thinking of trying the water diet, but do you know if it works or not? Thanks so much. :)

Thanks Knot... The problem is, I do jog for an hour usually each day. And it's a heavy jog, hill training sometimes.
I eat relatively healthy, usually with a muffin for breakfast, a fruit for a snack, sandwich for lunch, more fruit, and at dinner salad and whatever else there is. Theoretically I shouldn't be gaining weight. But I always seem to have 1-2 lbs more a month than the last one! I really lowered my calories and carbs a few months back, stayed like that for 3 months. In the first one I lost 2 lbs a week, then 1lb a week, then I stopped losing weight even though I was doing the same things. Now I'm back to gaining weight even though I've got plenty of excercise and healthy eating.
Not to mention the fact that I drink NO soda, and eat nearly 0 junk food. I really am not a fan of my image, and quite jealous of my friends who have 6 packs. I somewhat do, but still have some fat on my stomach. And my legs are HUGE. I just really want to rid of the excess fat...
But really, the strangest part must be that I'm about the fittest in my grade. I've got one of the best endurances in no matter what sport, make almost every sport team at school, and I'm one of the strongest if not the strongest in my grade.

I was thinking of trying the water diet, but do you know if it works or not?

Thanks so much. :)

Perhaps you didn't read my reply correctly. In order to lose weight...you MUST EAT! So, in answer to your question "water diet"...do you think it would work??? You wouldn't lose anything but water from your body first and then your body would start to consume itself because there is NOTHING for it to digest. Does that sound healthy to you or even smack of a permanent fix? You are thirteen...you are still developing. Also, you are adding muscle which weighs more than fat. Do not let the "scale" deceive you. The scale doesn't measure body fat. The scale gives you some insight into how you are doing week to week and not day by day. If your clothes fit better but the scale isn't moving...does that mean you aren't getting in shape? No...not at all. If you are eating properly (and a muffin for breakfast doesn't count as breakfast) then you should be on your way to achieving your goals. Besides, when you do eat properly you will never have to measure how you are doing by looking at the scale. If your clothes fit...wear them. If they don't fit but are getting snug then you are not being honest with yourself and how you eat. No diet works...do you know why??? Because it implies that you are doing something bad or wrong and must now deprive yourself...sort of like a punishment. Then when the "diet" is over you are left with, "what do I do now?" A diet is a temporary fix to a short-term problem. A lifestyle change is a permanent fix to your temporary problem. You must eat better than you do. In the morning you must eat to get your body out of the night-time "fast" it has been through. Eating well and in a fashion that I mentioned above will get you well on your way to a permanent solution to your problem. I have lost a lot of weight and kept it off now for 5 years eating just as I described in my initial response to you. By the way, exercising like you mentioned above must also be done with intention purpose. You have to rehydrate yourself constantly throughout your day. For instance, if you weigh yourself in the evening that is probably a bad idea. The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning when you first arise and having relieved yourself. Then do not weigh yourself for another week but weigh yourself at the same time and following the same habits. You will weigh differently throughout the day of the same day even! So, do not became a slave to the scale or a slave to dieting. That doesn't work. Eating properly does work and the only healthy way to do it.