I run and weight train about 4-5 days a week. I usually run 3-5 miles before lifting. I was recently told that doing this would decrease my ability to produce muscle mass and that I should run after lifting. What is the truth to this?

I think you should do first what is more important. That way you give more energy to what is more important. There is always an argument of what should be done fast. So far there is not definite answer.

What you should do is split up your running. Running 3-5 miles before lifting is not necessarily ideal as your muscles are getting worn down before you even start lifting. Try running 1-1.5 miles before and 2-2.5 miles after you have done your weight training. Cardio after a workout is most beneficial as it places your body in a calabolic state that can last up to an hour after your work out.