After a few sessions, once they've shown you proper form and how stuff works, what's the point?

Some people need the motivation.

I have seen people during there interview and they didn't even know the name of the Smith Machine and on Monday were wearing a Personal Trainer shirt :umno:

They run $60-100 around here. One trainer at my new gym wanted to get into triathlon coaching at $60/hr but was willing to discount it to practice on me 8O

I agree with Bob, some people need the motivation to keep going. Also, a personal trainer may throw in some new exercises to mix it up a bit. I hired a trainer just to give me a routine and only used him for 5 sessions. But now, when he's around, he'll show me some new exercises at no charge

Motivation, discipline since most people who actually hire a personal trainer lack discipline, and making sure you continue to use the correct form since most people don't when lifting.

And for YOU personally, to answer each and every one of your questions, make sure you're not overtraining, make sure you're getting the proper kind and amount of nutrition, make sure you're getting the proper amount of sleep, continue giving you new exercises to help you improve your times, work with you on your swimming strokes and even show you exercises to help you improve same. Shall I go on?

i had a trainer once that worked with me in a gym. i hated him cuz he would get in my face and make me do reps that i didn't think i could -- but i did! i still hated him though. (he was free however) i think he did inspire me tho and really, he taught me proper form where i would have otherwise done wrong and possibly injured my silly self.

i don't think i'd go Oprah and actually pay for a personal trainer -- altho if i had her money, i would. it all boils down to $$$$.

I met with a personal trainer for 1 hr. because it was included in the price of my new gym membership. He was a body builder and I'm (obviously) not, so we looked at things a little differently, but he did show me how to use a few of the machines that I'd never used before. I got his supah-secret techniques for big a$$ pecs to I can whip y'all in the PURR contest. :P We discussed lower abs too and he had me do a couple of different exercises and, I kid you not, 2 sets of 10 reps and my abs still hurt. 8O :thumbsup: He wasn't pushy about signing up for ongoing training, but I told him I may consider a once a week for a month program over the winter when I work lower body back into the mix. He actually motived me a little bit too and then he chastized me for not eating enough protein.

They also tested my body fat % with a little handheld device. It said 14.1%. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find 24 lbs. of fat on me. :?

Was the little handheld device plastic or metal? Where did they pinch you? How long did they hold the pinches? Did they pinch more than once at each site? Having seen some recent pictures of you, I doubt seriously that you're 14% BF. My guess is lower than that.

It was a little plastic thing like a video game controller. I held on to two handles at arm's length for 20 seconds and then it came up with the %. No calipers involved.

Sounds like electrical impedance, which isn't very reliable due to a high variance.

I'm using a personal trainer at my Gold's Gym twice a week now: Monday's and Wednesdays. I've used him for the last 3 weeks straight and will probably continue thru the end of month
First time I've ever done any sort of weight training. He does motivate me to work harder and helps correct poor form. My legs are much, much stronger then my arms/back. And he is able to adjust my weekly workouts to account for this and my running schedule (~ 25 miles per week and rising).

I pay $35 per half-hour session. It is worth it, in my opinion. Especially for me being a weight lifting newbie. Hopefully, once I see some results and learn the equipment myself, I will workout on my own. I'm also doing the protein shakes at home now, trying to drink at least one a day during the week. I have a hard time taking them on non-workout and/or long run days.

He did a fat test on my during the first session and I measured in at 12% (which is very good for my age group - Male, 32). He used a plastic caliper device and measured in three places: thigh, neck, and near underarm. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'd like to get that down to below 10% over the next few months. He also weighed me at this first session and I was at 156 fully clothed. He wants to put 10 - 15 lbs back on me which I don't necessarily agree with. I'm down to 150 as of this AM. I ate like a horse the last two days and I still burning calories like mad.

Not that i use a PT but i took the cources myself, mainly to get the ideas for triaining. The other good thing is if you have a good one they'll also help with not only the exercises but with BASIC first aid (RICE) and help out with nutrition.