One of my patients has been having a very restless abdomin,no appetite,Mucus instead of stool,and yesterday she found a really hard lumpin her lower left side.You can only feel it when she's lying down.There is no pain there,just everywhere else.It feels like a pebble,maybe an inch long.

What could it be?Perhaps stool?

Hello, Guest.  Is this woman an older person or young adult? Have you tried checking her digitally in the rectum to see if you can palpate an impaction of any kind?  How are her bowel sounds?  Have you tried an enema or other type of laxative treatment?  I imagine she has some stool in there that needs to move out of the colon to provide her relief.  Hopefully, it isn't a bowel obstruction that is preventing any other stool from passing through.  It would be good to check her bowel sounds to see if there are any present.  Good luck with your patient.

Yes she was very constipated.People don't realize how important a good bowel is.What goes in your mouth must come out the other end.
People don't want to talk about it until it gets so bad or painful,vomiting migraine headaches.All my friends come to me.They know i'll get it out.
Nursing homes are usually the worst for having constipated patients.Yes it is a dirty job,but somebody has to do it to prevent worse things from
happening.
First I gave 2 mineral oil enemas,then double doses of miralax every 15 min.for about 12 hours in her case.Finally we had a breakthrough and
8 golf ball size pieces of stool came out.
She was then able to eat,but it took about 20 days of miralax doubled 3 times a day to get it all out.Then she was ready to go home once she
was able to eat.I did suggest she see her doctor,because I did feel a lump inside her rectum grapesize it was smooth.Not quite sure what it was.
But at least the pain and bloating stopped,and she got somewhat of her appetite back.

Thank You For Caring,Chrissy

Hi there, if there is a grapesize lump felt inside her rectum, she definitely needs to see her doctor, you are quite correct to suggest it, hope she does! thinking of her x

Hi, Chrissy. I know what you are talking about. I used to work in nursing homes (about 20 years) so I have done everything you have done to help the residents there, and if they were constipated, you had to do what needed to be done. So true. I remember having to help many residents that were constipated pass their stool, and what we would say "dig them out" so that they would be rid of the fecal matter. Nursing is such a glamorous job, isn't it, lol, but we love the patients so we want to offer them comfort. Good job with what you have done for this patient. Happy Holidays to you!
Yvonne