I am a 25 year old male and it seems I have lost sensation in one side of my throat.

There is no pain, however, when I swallow, burp, clear my throat, and talk, it is as if everything is coming from my left side, while my right feels nothing. That being said, my throat is not sore, but it is dry.

It has been over a month now and I have sought out medical help from my general family doctor, who referred me to an ENT.

My ENT put a camera in my nose and down my throat, where he had told me he saw no issues. He had told me to wait a month to see if it would go away.

I am going to see him in less than 2 weeks now, but the problem has not gone and does not seem to be getting better - even slightly. Please let me know if this can be a pulled muscle in my neck, or nerve damage, or anything, as it has been driving me crazy for a while now. Thank you very much!

Also, I am not a smoker.

Hi, hope you're feeling better.

I have the EXACT same symptoms as you describe. Did you end up getting a diagnosis ? Please let me know. Thanks

I have the exact same symptoms!! Have you had any new developments or information from doctors??
No you happen to have any Cervical/neck herniations or pain?

Did u ever find out the cause of numbness in throat?

Hey guys . I have the exact same for nearly 2 years now. I've had every scan, blood test etc done and nothing found. From all my research it could be lesions on the cranial nerve( not found in me) or damage from a virus such as herpes / EBV which don't always create a rash or pain but can cause nerve damage. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

hi, what symptoms are you having?
How was it determined you had no cranial nerve lesions? (I had brain Mri)
I have been to numerous doctors. I am 40yr old F. Non smoker, dont drink. My symp are one side numb throat, feels like something stuck in throat right side, tragus area of ear sometimes feel sore, at 1st ear thing was only right within last week
its switched to left, intermittant stuffy nose throughout day (runs clear when i blow nose) front of neck right side feels tender. The feeling of something in throat so bad yesterday I stuck finger in throat and could feel my
hyoid bone horn, not sure if thats normal but I believe that is the sensation I have been feeling!
no blood work as of yet. I had camera up nose (endoscopy??) neck ultrasound and brain mri. I have been on 2 rounds of antibiotics, nose spray, and claritin. I pop advil and sudafed randomly trying to get relief. Also this is NOT anxiety as xanax nor ativan relieve my symptoms.
One Ent suspected reflux, I took omeprazole about a month, no change. Also prescribed steroids but am reluctant to take them. Went 2primary doc (again) she wants CT scan neck w/contrast.... My symptoms came on in March suddenly and have gradually escalated to
how I feel today (June 2017). If anyone has similiar issues or suggestions please consider responding. This affects my life every single day.

I am a full time singer as my sole income to provide for my entire family. I have had the exact same issues within the exact same time frame. Have you found out anything? -Jake

hi Jake,
Since I posted the message I decided to have the CT scan w/contrast. My report states no mass, no enlarged nodes, no inflammation, normal pharnyx, larynx. Clear sinuses, clear mastoids.
but... productive changes at atlanto axial articulation & diffusely heterogeneous thyroid.
ENT says the productive changes are just due to age and was not concerned. I was sent for thyroid bloodwork,my function came back normal but I am showing high levels of antibodies. (i was told my body could be attacking my thyroid. Hashimotos disease or Graves. early stages. I do not seem to have symp of either except anxiety which I believe this issue is anxiety provoking!!) I have an appointment with an endocrinologist at the end of the month. I do not know if this is related. I was back at Ent yesterday because I can not stand the "something in throat" feeling & my ear discomfort. Something odd which prompted me back to Ent was my husb came home from work early one day last week (I have not seen my husband sick probably 15 years) he was complaining of sore sides of neck& ear discomfort. I am wondering if I had some type of virus that attacked my thyroid, & maybe now husb has virus? once again ent stuck flexible camera up my nose and said he does not see anything new and told me to follow up w/endo. he prescribed me a new reflux medicine & suspects my eustachian tubes are clogged & suggested sudafed and/or mucinex. I am so absolutely miserable I have also been to the chiropractor twice in the last week for neck manipulation, Still feel crappy! I would be willing to discuss this more with you but I don't think email addresses are allowed but I will put mine anyway if you'd like to contact me. sorry to hear your livelihood is affected. please reach out if you ever receive a solution or diagnosis.

Hi
I have had the same problem of dry throats and numbed to one side of my throat for 3 months now it's starting to worry me any body had the same and if so what to do
Gaz

Hi
I have the same feeling numbness and dry feeling on one side of throat for the last 3 months starting to feel very concerned if anybody as the same feeling can they advise or just reply been docs but said all was ok
Gaz

Hi
I have had dry throat and numbness now for months been docs look down throat and felt glands said all ok anybody else had this sensation no pain just worried starting think can it be anxiety any body got same sensations please advise
Gaz

Hi
I have got the same problems that you have did you get any more feed back
Regards
Gaz

I am facing the same problem and it's really annoying.. I hope there is nothing serious about it

I'm very sorry. I also have this. It has just begun. I had endoscope last Monday. Next step cut scan

You just told my story here. This started for me five years ago. I have just learned to live with it. I feel vibrations etc on left side only- cold or hot drinks as well. Now what?