For several months now, I have started getting a very sharp stabbing feeling midway in my esophagus (chest height) when I eat cetrain foods. It only seems to happen when I have breads, wraps, dough (ie pizza)etc. and never anything else. The pain in so sharp and painful and if I try to drink, it only makes it worse (like a burning feeling).

The pain doesn't go away unless the food finally makes its way down after several minutes or I have to cough it back up. It is a really scary and painful feeling.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated~

Thanks~

Mitzy7 :-)

Hi, this is a difficult one to answer as there could be so many different causes, ranging from infection, reflux, or anxiety through to inherited problems (although these would be rare) if you have had this problem for a while i would recommend seeing your doctor, who can examine you properly and start investigating the obvious. try not to worry too much in the meantime. hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the response! I actually have been to the doctor and she sent me for several tests at the hospital. Unfortunately, they were not able to find anything. I have tried to ignore it, but it seems to be happening more frequently. I am a business woman and it is very emabassing when it happens at a work lunch, or even when I am with my friends.

My only temporary solution is to stop eating breads all together (which I something I do not want to do). I just would really love to know the root cause of this. It just doesn't seem normal to me.

Thank you again for your response.

@ mitzy7

I'm 19 and I noticed that we are having the same problems. Did you ever find a cure for it? Can you eat normal now and etc. etc.

I'm a male 49 been experiencing this off on since I was a teen. I don't remember feeling it so severe as I do these days. Like swallowing a huge vitamin that won't go down. Recently it's been happening when I start driving home from work, or when I'm lying down about to go to sleep at night. Sometimes I wonder if it's triggered by air pollution and needing to spit. I've been reading that we make about a liter of saliva per day and we drool when we sleep even though we don't produce as much saliva as when we are awake. Much of our body process is shedding, pooping, peeing, leaving stuff behind and in our modern day life we can't usually do it like we did in the good old human evolutionary days. What else did we have back then ? I can see spitting like a natural growing process, like shedding our reptilian skin, something we need to do. It also seems like a natural reaction to air pollution and acne medication, or preparing to eat. Also, a young woman in our modern world might not spit as much as a guy would. It seems to help me though it's something I have to manage of course. 

see this is happening to me except its everything hurts it doesnt matter what it is even drinks my mom told me drink something fast then burp it up but even burping hurts n takes a while to even do it and then im getting hiccup attacks