After I went through Menopause sex is very painful. It isn't dryness.. I can use a lot of lubricant (Astroglide) and it makes no difference, I can feel a ring of tightened mussle/tissue in a half moon shape that is located under my clitoris. I can feel it with my hands and my husband can feel it too. I bleed after sex which is too painful to be enjoyed..This is worse then when i was a virgin. Really painful...

I'm still in perimenopause and having the exact same symptoms as you. I dont know what to do. Astroglide just seems to make the area sticky and it hurts when my husband tries to get his penis inside. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I can relate to both posts from lorif and normill. There is a tightness and what seems like a swollen area in the upper front area of the vagina. Using the ky liquid gel so it isn't dryness but it can be very painful but no bleeding. I've also noticed my urethra has seemed swollen and red and much more noticeable than before, even when not having intercourse, like it dropped down or something... maybe just never noticed it, not sure about that but no urinary problems at all. Will do more research until I see my gynecologist, but just wondering if all this is a normal part of menopause ??

I have read the posts and am having the same problems but I have found no where there has been a solution? Has anyone had any success with anything they have tried?

Any diagnosis or solutions? My wife is having the same issue. Thank You.

Talk to your doctor about using Vagifem. It really helped me.

I am having the same problems. I am in menopause and have been having this problem for the last few years off and on but just in the last 3-5 months, it's gotten really bad. I do not want to take hormones if I can keep from it. My husband thought it was just because we had not had sex much and I was tight but it is unbearable.

I had the same thing and went to the healthfood store to talk about it. Lady told me to double up on the Omega 3,6,9 oil (capsules you swallow) and that helped me a lot. I'm not married so my sex is poratic - but it was great - no pain, very tight, oh and we also used some lubriant!

Hope that helps,
Nellie

I am experiencing the same thing... I am58 and have had this problem increasing for the last 5 years... post menopause...its just gotten worse and worse and has not helped that we have sex about 3 tmes a year because my H has not been interested --I think aging, medication and other things have had an impact on his libido.. we always had a great sex life before and enjoyed sex so this is so troubling my gyn gave me vaginal cream with estrogen to help and I don't think it has much I even purchased dildos of different sizes hoping tg stretch it out but I have not done it enough to say if it will work or not.. right now its just downright excrutiatingly painful beyond a few inches in.  I don't know what else to do.. I am doubting that omegaa are going to help in this situation as I believe based on what my doc said that it is hormone related and she said if I did not do the cream I would have major problems down the road... I am now wondering if I waited to long to do the cream and it just won't work.. I think i need a specialist...would love to know if anyone has had any luck

same problem here. Have a loving husband - and we have always enjoyed our sex life a lot...I read several places about this problem, but has yet to see a sollution for it anywhere...it makes me truly wonder. This is happening for a LOT of women - but it doesn't seem to be any interest in researching on it...we get the advices like using Hormones - lube (not really what is the problem) - but the tightness is there - sex is impossible, and i have ended up in tears so many times. i feel like i am not "keeping up my end of the deal" - hubby is sad because there is nothing he can do to help me - and there we are...both sad, upset and stresset out. Yes - there are other ways to be close  - but the pure intimacy of making love we are so sorely missing. i an 56 - i can not even think about being like this for the rest of my life.....

Could be a rectocele- a kind of hernia of the bowel into vagina- you can also get the bladder bulging into vagina. There is surgery for both but upping the Kegel pelvic exercises helps and maybe trying the smart balls you insert and wear for a couple of weeeks. But go to a gyny and get it properly checked as many things can cause this. Dont settle for the " Use more lubricant or slap on estrogen cream", for more than a few months as you will both be avoiding sex and  somewhat tense if its been hurting for a while.

I have the exact same pain described above by EVERYONE. It's wet inside and out, but the penis will not go in without excruciating pain. I have had a normal sex life my entire life. I never had babies so I was wondering if maybe passing a couple of 7 pound babies thur would have helped me at this time of my life, but obviously mothers have this problem too. I read what I could about it and they say, take a warm bath, eat a candlelight dinner, and give back rubs! What rubbish! I went to a YOUNG female "OB" and she said "maybe your husband doesn't care about sex either. Can you believe that? I CARE because HE cares. I found alot of porn on my computer he looks at. Poor guy. He's so kind to me, always has been. Never complains.  People just don't care about major problems like this that effect everyone over 50 that nobody talks about. Nothing will ever be done about this I'm sure. Wait til the younger generation of women experience this misery and then they'll know what the older generation was talking about. This is the worst problem of my life.

The same thing is going on with me... Identical, I have only been offered estrogen cream....no help....

Terri wrote:

Normill wrote:

Same problem I have as well. I am now 60, and sex has not been comfortable for some time now. It is so painful, how could you possibly get arroused? Im in agony. Nothing on the market seems to help. My husband trys to understand, but I know sex for him also is'nt what it use to be. I guess you just have to enjoy other things in life, and just have the memories! This is a subject no one wants to talk about except on this site. Thank you, I at least feel Im not alone.

I also have this problem. I don't have a partner and have not had sex for over 7 years. I don't date because how could I explain this situation to a potential lover . . . and who would be interested in me if they knew I had this problem. I use the Vagifem as directed by the doctor. This gives my vagina a very unappealing odour. It is a complete turn off. I try to masturbate to keep things 'in working order' but nothing works. I feel I can never have another relationship with this problem, but there is no help available. Just having an examination at the doctor's is excrutiatingly painful. No new partner would accept this.