Ive seen so many self-hypnosis Cds and books online and I wanted to see if anyone did any self-hypnotising. It does sound interesting but I wouldnt want to mess anything up with my mind or life. How does it all work? My area of interest would be helping myself to lose weight. Should I first look for a hypnoterapist to learn some basic stuff and then start on my own?

I dont think you should be doing any self-hypnosis at all. Hypnosis asks for a lot of knowledge and even if you do decide to undergo such a treatment, you should find a hypnotherapist with a lot of experience and good reviews and not some unscrupulous person who could take advantage of you. Losing weight is not a mystified process. There are rules you need to follow and any dietitian would be more than happy to explain them to you. Yes, you do need a strong will but Im not sure that hypnosis will make you a stronger person, at least not in long term. AT least thats my opinion. Others say that hypnosis works by strengthening peoples will, its just that Im not buying it.