A survey has found that many people with mental problems in England face everyday discrimination. The discrimination most often comes from those who know them best - family, friends, and employers.

When people hear you suffer from schizophrenia, they are so shocked and don't know what to do, so they ran away. Stuart Baker-Brown, from Dorset, was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1996 and says he hasn't seen many of his family for a few years now. "I have found little support ever since the diagnosis. It first started with the feeling of being followed, getting concerned for my life, feeling anxious and depressed. Diagnosis came 4 years after."

Although he himself "recovered" with no schizophrenia symptoms for some years now, he says that the condition has not stopped affecting his life.

The only threat he has now from schizophrenia is stigma and discrimination. He reports that it is people's attitudes that hold him back.

"It is not just work opportunities that are missing. Relationships, both with friends and possible partners, are far more difficult. Everyone thinks that you are liable to lose it and become violent. Sometimes, when I open up to people I've met about my diagnosis, they just back off. I have stopped pursuing relationships because I think I might be rejected. Rejection doesn't get any easier even if you've been through it a few times before."

Twelve years following his diagnosis, Stuart sees no improvement in the level of stigma and discrimination he faces.

He knows it's just a lack of understanding of somebody else, a fear of something you don't understand."