Do you think there is such a thing? Recently I heard of a white woman in a mostly black college who is claiming reverse discrimination and sueing the school for $5 Million. Her case obviously sounded pretty real. She was trying to get into the same program as someone with the same credentials as her with the exception that she had better grades. The position in the program was given to the black student.

I believe there is a lot of reverse discrimination as far as race is concerned but I don't believe people tend to make a big deal out of it typically.

Do you think there is such a thing? Recently I heard of a white woman in a mostly black college who is claiming reverse discrimination and sueing the school for $5 Million. Her case obviously sounded pretty real. She was trying to get into the same program as someone with the same credentials as her with the exception that she had better grades. The position in the program was given to the black student. I believe there is a lot of reverse discrimination as far as race is concerned but I don't believe people tend to make a big deal out of it typically.
Are they really calling it "reverse discrimination"? Isn't discrimination just plain ol' discrimination? :shrug:

it basically means who the victim is. The terminology would basically define a "majority" suing for a "minority" getting a person

I believe it happens but given the numbers, I think it's irrelevant.

Obviously you need to read up on the Supreme Court decisions reguarding just this issue as it applied to Michigan State Law School program.

The law school specifically set aside slots in the school for minoroty candidates. A Caucasian student claimed discrimination since he had better grades than the minority applicant (i.e. Better qualified) yet the minority was accepted.

Not an easy issue.

Yes, that is really what they are calling it.

Newsflash: I agree with Go. It does happen, I've seen it happen but it's not common enough to raise a stink about it. Unless, of course, you're the one being turned away.

Then at what point does it become relevant?

And who decides?

There is a program here at UC Berkeley for teen girls. It's a space program just for 13+ y/o. Within a 100 mile radius there is no program like it for boys. Why?

Then at what point does it become relevant? And who decides? There is a program here at UC Berkeley for teen girls. It's a space program just for 13+ y/o. Within a 100 mile radius there is no program like it for boys. Why?
The boys are too busy building and launching rockets? Or in my kids case, building Drano bombs unsuccessfully. :x I think it's an effort to get the girls interested in the sciences Aire - something they don't seem to gravitate towards as easily as boys.

I just wish they offered a similar class. There is nothing even remotely similar in the area. I am not one to look for discrimination---but at the same time, why can't there be a male section and a female section--but open it up to all kids? I have seen discrimination. I have felt it. But, I have also seen my husband feel the brunt of it in our highly Latino area. I think every group discriminates in one way or another to one thing or another. It's because we're human and fallible.

There are still a lot of factors to put into this. The two women could have been great candidates, with the white female with the better of the grades. However, did she interview well to get into the program...how was her overall performance when working on projects and tasks...did she have the attitude that she deserved to get into the program because she was white??? I just feel that there could have been many factors involved that we don't know about. She could be throwing her "race card" as well. It happens. Where was this???

Obviously you need to read up on the Supreme Court decisions reguarding just this issue as it applied to Michigan State Law School program. The law school specifically set aside slots in the school for minoroty candidates. A Caucasian student claimed discrimination since he had better grades than the minority applicant (i.e. Better qualified) yet the minority was accepted. Not an easy issue.
The above mentioned case (gutter v bollinger) was found in favor of U of M because of the way in which the school went about creating diversity for their program. They actually don't set aside seats, but rather consider minority status as part of many factors that go into each candidate's application. They look at each case individually, thus why the court ruled in the school's favor. However there was another similar case at U of M (gratz v bollinger) regarding undergraduate liberal arts school that did not rule in favor of the school because their admissions policy was to give a student 10 points off the bat if they were a minority.

I agree. However, when listening to the whole story (which I didn't post all of) it seems as if it is totally because she is white that she didn't get the position.

I agree, Aire. I'm not one to point out discrimination either but I don't think it seems fair.

I'm sure this happens in all sectors with discrimination...unfortunately.