Hi, I would like to know how Staph Infections Spread? My younger brother gets his nose and throat infected so often, so maybe if we knew more about the bacteria it would be easier to defend from it?

Staph is present and can spread through the air, on untidy, contaminated surfaces, and from person, no matter infected or carrier, to person. A person can carry staph bacteria on her hands or fingernails and infect from hands other parts of the body. So, hand washing would be recommended to prevent staph infections. Regular keeping of hygine of kitchen and bathroom surfaces or other places where bacteria have good conditions for occuring is very important. Keeping child's skin clean by everyday bath or shower is essential. Any skin injuries - such as cuts, scrapes, and rashes caused by allergic reactions should get additional attention to avoid infection occurrance.

I have a friend who is a fisherman and gives us fish he catches and cleans himself. He currently suspects he has a staph infection in one finger. Could he transmit the staph infection when he cleans the fish -- should we not eat it after cooked?