Just wondering if anyone had any physical therapy after their hammertoe surgery?  If so, could you share what you did & how you are doing now?

I had my surgery 5 weeks ago & was told by my doctor to start moving my toes with my hands to help get the nerves working.  Has anyone else been doing this?

PLEASE SHARE :)  Thank You!  

Health Advisor

Hello, Janna.

A friend of mine had hammertoe surgery after he got injured on soccer game. His recovery process went really well, but he hated his special boot so much. :)

From his experience, he didn't use stairs (he was freaking out when we saw them anywhere), his parents clears a way to the bathroom and removed all slippery rugs and carpets. Also, all pointy objects, like coffee tables or chairs were removed to protect your foot. You really don't want to hit anything with injured finger! 

You will need to rest while your leg is up in the air, placed on the pillows. You can use ice cubes behind your knee to prevent swelling. And, like your doctor said, you need to move toes with hands, but be very gently and try to use only the fingertips.

Hope the recovery will be over soon!

Had my hammertoe surgery almost 1 year ago & I still am not able to move my 2 3 4 toes on both feet.  I asked my doctor who did the surgery, and he told me I would never get the movement back :(  But my feet are better and I am able to go for long walks & even jump, I know that sounds corney, but I couldn't jump before surgery :)  I still am not able to wear certain shoes.  I only have 2 pairs of shoes that I can wear right now and they are Keens and Dancos. They were both over $100.  But they should last me a long time.  

Just curious… Did you ever get movement in your toes after the surgery? I had hammertoe surgery seven weeks ago on 4 toes. My toes are so swollen and I can't even feel them to move… Nothing was ever mentioned about not being able to move them or anything about physical therapy for them… Not sure what to do.

At 7 weeks I'm still wearing the surgical shoe. I've tried my athletic shoes, slippers and sandals. I was able to wear the sandals for about 4 hours before they started to swell. I can now get the slippers on but it hurts to walk in them. The athletic shoes are a strong NO. I do massage my foot twice daily. The bottom of my foot just below my toes still hurts especially at the end of the day if I've been on my feet.