Thanks Shirley and Donna,
I did some research on Dr. Byrd and found that he mostly treats athletes-not to hurt anybodies feelings, but I'm not an athlete. I saw an ortho here that is very well respected but mainly works on athletes. I felt very, very out of place with all the sports photos on the wall. He didn't give me, a 53 yr old woman with arthritis, the time of day. I already decided Dr. Byrd's not for me and your info sealed my decision, Donna. I think I'm going to stick with Dr. Barbaro.

I have an appt tomorrow with PM and I'm dreading it. It's a 1/2 hr drive there and then he's always late. Last time I was in the exam room 3 hrs for a 5 min visit that accomplished nothing. Sorry, but plain Tylenol doesn't cut it for this kind of pain, especially after trying to wait that long. I think I'm going to talk with him about seeing someone closer to where I live. They're in so tight with each other that no one will take you unless the other one refers you. I just wish I'd find someone that believes in PS.

Oh, Julie--I have an Ellie also. Mine is also from Empi and is a Promax. It's been a lifesaver but the pain is now to the point that even it barely takes the edge off. Ice helps and not sitting. What a life.

Shirley--sorry you didn't get the relief you were hoping for from the injection. What's next for you?

Leesa--it's frustrating to have to wait so long and move slowly to get to where you want to be--no pain--back to normal. Hang in there ladybug and try to at least soak in the warmth of the sun. We just had some more snow and the temperature is dropping again. I'll say my prayers that Filler follows thru on the phone call and it's a productive one for you.

Margie--Thanks for the info on Barbaro. I really liked the type of post-op care you received. It sounded like they were really there for you. Were you able to have the surgery the next day or did you have to come back home and wait awhile? I would really like to make only one trip for obvious financial reasons.

I am so pleased to have found this forum. It's been very uplifting knowing others really understand the pain and frustration that goes with PS. Thanks

LadyBugHurts,

I live very close to Dr. Barbaro. For me, the entire process took several months - but a good deal of that was because of my schedule not accomodating when they could see me. We had already scheduled several vacations and I didn't want to give those up. First I had to meet with Dr. Layzer, the neurologist who refers people to Dr. Barbaro. He's the one who did the MRN. He actually called me about a week after the MRN to give me the results. I was supposed to meet with him to talk about the results but since I was on vacation, he called me. He spent a good 15 minutes with me on the phone using a lot of big, technical words I didn't much understand but I got the essence of it. The most important part of the conversation was that he felt the results "might" be indicating that it was PS so he referred me to Dr. Barbaro. I met with Dr. Barbaro pretty quickly after returning from vacation. He did a visual and verbal assessment and then said his office would be scheduling me for the sciatic notch injection. Again, because of another vacation we had planned, I didn't get to have that injection for about a month. I had the injection in December, went on vacation again, met with Dr. Barbaro in January and was given a surgery date for February, which I rescheduled for March 14 because I had to attend my nephew's wedding in early March and knew that with a February surgery, I might not be up for flying on a plane 2 weeks later!

So......I'm sure it could go a lot faster but a next day surgery is highly doubtful. Julie will be able to give you a better idea as she's flying out to see Dr. Layzer on Wednesday. Those of you who are considering Dr. Barbaro should be able to get a good idea how long the process takes by following Julie's posts over the next few weeks/months.

And so with that, I'll pass the forum on to Julie. Take it away, Julie! :wiggle: (By the way, Julie can't wiggle like that because of PS.)

Margie

:moon: That's what you get, Margie, for saying I can't wiggle like that!

Looks like I'm trailblazing on this one. We're in the midst of packing for our trip right now. And, lucky me, we've gotta take a break around noon from packing so I can get a bilateral piriformis injection. The only time they could schedule it before the trip was today. So, I'm getting my butt injected today, hopping on a plane tomorrow and seeing Dr. Layzer on Wednesday. Depending on how it goes with Dr. Layzer I will know if I can see Dr. Barbaro.

What I can tell you is that this is no short process and will involve multiple trips out to SF. I'm assuming it will take a few months at least.

I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. Needless to say I'm nervous...

Take care,
Julie

Hi all,

Good news here. I mowed, edged, fertilized and weed-whacked the entire half acre yard this weekend.

Very sore the next day but I did it.

Margie - fantastic
Leesa - the worm will turn, it just doesn't at the pace we want it too

Someone asked about my injections - had very limited impact on me.

Anyone heard from HG? Worried here.

I typed up a thesis in reply to Shurley Jackson's post and when I hit submit, the system had logged me off. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!! I'll try again later.

Wow, Julie! Didn't expect you to respond THAT quickly!! Good luck today with your injections. Let us know how it goes.

Margie

This sounds like ischial bursitis.

Dustin

One more time

Shirlee Jackson

can you tell I'm in a hurry?

best of luck Julie, let us know