First I was suffering from a heel pain that I thought it will go away. As it hasn’t I visited a podiatrist who diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis. Great, just what I needed! A surgery was another recommendation! Can anybody tell me something about this fasciotomy, what the risks and success rates are? Thx!

Plantar fasciotomy is usually performed when other conservative treatments haven’t helped. Plantar fasciotomy is an endoscopic procedure. It is done by a foot specialist in a doctor's office under local anesthesia and takes 20 minutes to one hour. The doctor makes two small incisions on either side of the heel. An endoscope is inserted in one to guide the doctor in where to cut. A tiny knife is inserted in the other. A portion of the fascia is cut from near the heel; then the incisions are closed. The greatest risk is that the arch will drop slightly as a result of this surgery, causing other foot problems. The success rate of surgical release is 70 to 90% in patients with plantar fasciitis. Good luck with your surgery!