hi there, here is my little history... I have a 28 day cycle. Last period was 6 July. I should have had my period last Wednesday, 3 August but nothing until today... 6 days later. I am never late! I just went to the loo and saw bright red blood! :( I am surprised by this as last Wednesday and Saturday i did 2 oregnancy tests that almost immediately came up positive and now i am bleeding. Tomorrow i would have been 5 weeks pregnant. I was so excited earlier today but now worry as to why I am bkeeding... I have had slight cramping since last week but no major pains. All seemed well. :( Is anyone experienced in this?! Am I miscarrying or is bleeding 'not that bad'?! I just know it's bright blood... Other sitrs have mentioned dark 'spotting' is normal... But mine isnt dark old blood. :(

Hi Cyniac,

Call your doctor, now.

Small amounts of light bleeding are common and considered normal. You'll need an exam to be certain though.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

Thanks so much Medic-Dan. However, I live in Holland and the doctors don't do anything here.. it's all via mid-wives, which only see you as from 9 weeks! I have called one today, I'm waiting for her to call me back... The bleeding really only happened after I had a bowel movement last night, sorry, TMI. Since then there has been no bleeding whatsever.

OK then. If it was the one time I wouldn't be as concerned. As I said, some light bleeding is common and can be considered normal.

If you get a heavy bleed with cramps, see your doctor/midwife as soon as you can.

Good luck!

Hello Doc,
I am having the same symptoms as Cyniac. My period is 6 days late, I got 2 positive tests but today I started bleeding, dark smelly blood. Should I be worried?

Hi Guest,

A positive pregnancy test followed by bleeding may indicate a miscarriage, but if it's since stopped, know that early pregnancy spotting is quite common and many people experience this and still end up with a baby. 

I've had a miscarriage in Holland. (My husband is Dutch and we were there visiting, we don't live there.) When I started bleeding profusely, we went in to see my MIL's family doctor, who sent us on our way to a larger hospital, where they did an ultrasound scan and established that I was miscarrying. They then, yes, pretty much sent us on our way to miscarry naturally, without any care whatsoever. I think they told us to come back a week later for a checkup, or something. 

So, I can relate to the... down to earth... standard of care. I hope things work out for you.