Hi there,

I had an Acl reconstruction/maniscus repair about 6 years ago and started playing soccer again this year. All was going well until the last game when I tried to stretch for a ball behind my movement progress and felt a pull. I thought I would run it off as I had suffered a kick to my lower leg earlier in the game and thought it might be as a result of this .... I could run and even sprint but as soon as I kicked the ball I had to pull up due to the pain. After 2 weeks I was pain free and have continued using supports whilst training but before the game today I noticed a bump along my hamstring towards the back of my knee (just above) ... has anybody else had the same problem or does anyone know what it is? I dont know whether to risk playing anymore!

Response to 4/10/11 Soccer PLayer

Sounds to me like a pull or low-grade tear in the hamstring. I might be wrong if you can still sprint. But I tore my hamstring and had a similar bump. I also had a TON of bruising on the back of my leg. Why? Because when you tear something blood pours out (which is all a bruise is, the blood leaked out underneath the skin). The entire back of my leg was storm-cloud black. Sometimes this loose blood hardens and you get bumps like the one described (this happens after ACL reconstruction too and is why the doctors tell you to massage around your leg to break up any lumps of blood). "Further bleeding and excess fluid may accumulate causing a hard, fluctuating lump or swelling hematoma," (from Wikipedia's page on "Bruise").

So, to check, answer this question: did you have bruising on the back of your thigh (around your hamstring)? Due to gravity, the coloration will "roll" down your leg. So maybe you'll notice it near your knee, or even on your calf.

If you did/do have that type of bruising, stop playing.

I tore my hamstring playing flag football (junior year of college). I rested for three weeks and tried to play in the championship game. I tore my right ACL. The hamstring was too week to support my weight, so my knee tried to carry the burden and....snap. You know how awful that pop is.

My recommendation (regardless of bruising): don't play unless you can do 10 body squats without pain, with perfect form. And if you can do 10 body squats without pain, with perfect form, do 10 lunges with each leg. If you can do those, do 20 jumping jacks. If you can do those, do a one minute wall sit. If you can do that, okay, go ahead and play.

About the bump: massage the area until you break up the blood. It might feel like cracking scar tissue. Be kind, but be firm.

And remember: ACL tears happen for two reasons. One, it's a freak torque of the knee due to positioning and/or the impact of a foreign object (like someone slide tackling you, or trying to pivot like Stretch Armstrong). Two, WEAK SUPPORTING MUSCLES. Weak hamstrings, weak quads, or weak glutes will lead to an ACL sundering. Those muscles bear weight. Whatever weight your quad/hamstring/glute can't bear your knee tries to support. Knees are frail. Be smart.

I didn't learn my lesson after my first ACL tear. It wasn't until the second tear I realized how stupid I had been. Not saying you're being stupid. I'm just saying, don't do what I did. You've been great so far, don't mess it up now. Take some time off, make sure all your muscles are in working order, then start Ronaldo-ing again.

Actually I do have some bruising which is below my knee and I couldnt work out where it had come from ... thanks for the advice

I'm about a year out from my ACL reconstruction surgery and am having the same thing going on. I have the crackling when I straighten my knee and have trouble fully extending it. I know popping and cracking are usual after this kind of surgery, but i went to the doctor after having increased pain and more trouble straightening it. I have a build up of scar tissue in front of my graft. its called like a cyclopes adhesion and in order to play soccer i have to get a clean out surgery to take out the adhesion. its probably something you want to get checked out but its common and easily fixed.

All,

After looking at the original question, which was asked approximately a year ago, I would like to say that I have a similar situation.  I had ACL Reconstructive Surgery 2 years ago, and during Christmas, I began having extreme pain in that knee.  The pain and swelling became so bad that I could not walk and was hospital bound.  They only did an xray.....no bone damage.  I needed an MRI, but considering that I am currently unemployed now, and I cannot be added to my husbands insurance until March, I was just stuck in pain and having to make the best out of it.  As the swelling went down after icing and elevating, I noticed a lump approx. 1/2 inch from my scar, on the inner part of my knee.  I went to a Physical Therapy Group down the road, and they informed me that they have seen this many times.  A TORN MENISCUS.  This is extremely painful! One can pull the Meniscus and not feel the pain.  I was not excercising or doing anything extreme.  I was, however, up on my feet cooking and cleaning for 16 hours straight preparing for family.  Should anyone have these symptoms, please seek medical attention asap.

I completely agree with this. I am now 16 months post acl surgery and am still experiencing clicking/cracking sounds. I was wondering for yours did you do a lot of gym excercises.

Right now, I'm going to the gym working on treadmill, bike, leg extension and leg press excercises. Treadmill is really good, because it's forcing my muscles to become activated and needed to get stretched out. I just hope the clicking goes away soon.

Hello everyone,

I have had ACL Reconstruction surgery with hamstring graft around 16 months ago.

My knee is still making clicking/cracking sounds and there is still a bit of discomfort. It is far from being normal.

I was wondering if the clicking will go away eventually! I play soccer competitively and at the moment am
going to the gym doing treadmill, leg extension, leg press and bike excercises. I'm working on the vastus medialis
right now. I heard that for this kind of injury a full recovery can take 3 years or longer.

Hey

I have sprained both of my acls playing intramural football. My knees started to become much weaker and much less explosive when running and especially doing motions that required me to go low to the ground bending my knee while running. One of the only times I was restricted physically and one of the only times I felt pain in it was when I walked down the stairs but not up. I stopped playing football because the doctor told me I would probably tear my acl fully if I kept playing. I continued playing other sports like basketball but just gave up football and it worked. My knee healed and gained strength back, but now what I think is scar tissue pops everyday and all the time. In the morning or after I stand afer sitting for a while I can plant my foot on the ground rotate my knee both directions and pop both my mcl and lcl. I can put my leg in a straightened postion while flexing my calf and then flex my leg bending my knee, and this causes a loud pop of the back of my knee (Im assuming my acl). All of these pops feel good and give me a feeling of relief, is this normal? I wonder if I have scar tissue that builds up faster, or why my scar tissue makes so many noises all around my body. My shoulder can also pop loud and it also feels good to me. Should I not be popping my joints?

I tore my ACL and had surgery January 16th so I am now about 2 months out. My knee popps too so I have been asking around and people tell me it's just scar tissue. This doesn't concern me as much as my knee locking. Sometimes I will be walking or bending my knee and it will lock up. It locks and tightens for a few seconds right inside my knee cap. I just slowly bend my knee and it releases but this is happening about 10 times a day. Has anyone had similar issues or concerns?

Hi all,

I had my left acl reconstructed for the 2nd time back in March. From my last time which was aboiut 12 years ago this time it feels terrible!! So today is about 10 weeks since operation and to say I feel like dog poo would be an understatement. I have religiouslydone my exercises and am really putting in the gym time, icing afterwards and massaging whilst c**p is on the tv BUT it just does not seem to be feeling like the graft has taken. My missus says I am paranoid and need to just give it more time. I cannot remember the first time I had it done feeling this bad. Cracking, popping sensing looseness and overall completley nervous about twisting it is making me a total misery guts.Yes it is all doom and gloom and can only hope you guys and anyone else recently had acl recon feels better than I do. I will keep going though in the hope that as each week passes the knee will get better, fingers crossed. Over and out people.

I hadmy ACl last october and have still got the crunching and cracking noise in my leg, i used to lay football (soccer) but cant anymore, im due my screws out anytimesoon but i wouldnt recommend this to anyone, email if you can

Hi all,

I had an ACL reconstruction on my left knee 8 years ago (today actually) where they also removed my meniscus since it was significantly torn. About 3 weeks ago I had a terrible pain in my knee and couldn't fully extend it without a lot of pain. It was concentrated in the back of the knee. I tried massaging it but it didn't help very much; then I discovered a bump in the back of the knee, closer to the left side. I've had intermittent pain and trouble extending it since then. I feel discomfort mostly when going up and down stairs. 

My concern is that I wasn't doing anything very difficult when the pain started. I am a teacher, so I stand for most of the day. Has anyone experienced these type of symptoms? I'd appreciate any help/comments/advice.

Thanks!

I have been reading all of the comments left on this topic and only become more intrigued, as I recently  (three months ago) had reconstructive surgery on my ACL, and I often hear the popping when I walk and have experienced some pain when I sit for short periods of time. It takes like ten steps before I feel like I can move my knee in a somewhat upright position. I have started going back to the gym in order to try to get my knee nice and strong. I walk with a slight limp and am hoping that it goes away. My orteopedic surgeon told me that the recooperation time for the reconstructive surgey was going to be six months. I am mid-way throught the recooperation time and am hoping and praying that I will walk 'normal'. But am becoming more concerned as I read the experiences that others have experieinced.