I have huge problem with my hands. Few months ago, I have noticed they are not just dry as they used to be for all my life. Now I have noticed they started to peeling beside they are dry. I do not know what it means and what should I do. Can you tell me something more about dry peeling hands?

I understand you completely since I have the same problem with dry peeling hands. I have noticed maybe a month ago that the skin on my hands is peeling. No matter what lotion I use, it does not seem to help with this problem. I realized that lotions for dry skin, almond oil, just do not seem to do any good with dry peeling skin on my hands. The problem seems to be only on my hands and it was looked there is nothing I could do about it. I have been asking for a long time what should be the best treatment for dry peeling hands. During my research, I realize there is usually no specific cause for dry peeling skin. I gather I should not wash my hands too often or use harsh solvents. Moreover, I found there are many good moisturizers, such as petroleum jelly, aquaphor ointment, Eucerin cream, Bag Balm. If these are too greasy for your dry peeling hands, you could try a light lotion, of which there are many. I hope this will help both of us with terrible problem with dry peeling hands.

My hands peeled in high school and there was nothing I could do but wait a few months for them to heal. It started at the fingertips and eventually worked it's way to the entire palm, almost looked like the third layer of skin in some areas. It was horrible, but eventually it just went away. No doctors knew what it was from and there was no medicine or lotion that would help.

About a week ago my fingertips started peeling again. Great. It's been about 14 years since the last time they peeled and I have no clue what could be causing it. Oh well, at least I'm not in High School, cause that sure sucked.

My husband has very bad peeling hands - like you said the 3rd layer of skin is peeling off in massive amounts - This is the second time that this has happened to him - both times the peeling has been preceded by flu like symptoms and a fever. I am concerned about adult Kawasaki's disease. Any thoughts?

Quote:

i have a similar problem but my infliction starts with the flu or a cold and only at this time. Part way through the cold both my palms and around my right thumb start tingling and the skin is very sensitive to any heat, be it water or radiated heat. After a few days the skin starts to harden like leather and shortly after a number of layers will peel off like a dry blister. The right thumb goes extremely leather like, to the point I cannot bend it until I tear the skin off which relieves the pressure. Once the skin has peeled which occurs over about 2 to 3 weeks, it leaves a scaly like skin texture until it all returns to normal about a weel later. The skin that peels off looks like dead skin but its not as if the skin underneath is replacing it as it is very thin.

After it is all over the nail on my right thumb grows with a raised lump from the quik.

I am 44 and this started about 4 years ago. No skin specialist has an answer other than to prescribe very expensive creams which do nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

I noticed my palms peel every February. This I observed as far as I can remember while in Primary or Secondary School. It used to bother me but I think I've overcome that. In any case I'm mindful of how people feel when I shake their hands.

Is there a way out

I have the same problem. Fingers start to swell and blister near the base. Eventually crack with waterlike discharge. Spreads to other fingers (never the thumb). Comes and goes every few years. Last time DR perscribed antibiotic ointment and soak in witch hazel along with antibiotic pills. Did the trick for the breakout but it's no cure. Just started up again.

I also have this problem. this occurs only every few months after i have washed my hands with washing up liquid or doing the dishes.
I also get it after work because of the cement involved in brick laying.
I found that if i wash my hands I have to moisturise them straight away or my skin is dry all day weeks even. I do not think there is any cause to this but a form of eczma all we can do is bear it and moistureise regularly

I have the same problem and have been using johnson and johnson first aid skin crack ointment everyday before i go to bed. IT WORKS. After about a week the cracks and peeling cease. only problem is its kind of hard to find.

My sister and I have had this problem most of our lives. Nothing we have ever done or tried has worked. It is a little embarrasing when you go to shake someones hand. Mine happens about 1-2 times a year. It doesnt last very long, but it is sure a bother. I have noticed that my 6 year old sone has the same problem. Maybe it is genetic.

this also happens to me.

another thing ive noticed that can cause this is the use of chemicals... my hads have peeled like this is the past after using diluted muriatic acid to clean a yacht - it also happened after doing concrete work.

another thing that has made it happen was working with cardboard boxes for an extended period of time.

Ive found that is also happens after sickness that is involved with fever - the last time for me was tonsillitis - the only thing you can do is to drink plenty of fluids when you are sick and have a fever. If you don't - you will dehydrate and your body will draw the moisture out of your skin.

if you notice your hands getting dry and you fear that you might start peeling - try putting large amounts of petroleum jelly on your hands and then putting latex gloves on and letting them soak for 20 mins. I've done this the past 2 times it started to happen and i kept the peeling to my fingertips as opposed to my whole hand.

To the person who was worried about Kawasaki, I had it as a teen, and it became very serious, and led to heart trouble. Skin Peeling was a symptom. If your woried at all, get it checked out and let the doctor know about kawasaki, a lot of docotrs don't know about it.

It is called exfoliative keratolysis ( Google it) and there is nothing that can be done about it. ( or I have not found it) I have had this for 10yrs and it happens every year during summer and goes away during winter. My finger nails seem to grow out faster during an out break. I control it with lotion ( I carry a small tube of lotion with me all the time) and (this is disgusting) by scraping off the dead skin with a knife. If i don't do this my hands start to dry out, crack and bleed. I pray for a cure!!

I found out that i was allergic to thiuram, which is in rubber, and it has turned into dermatitis. My hands and feet peel very bad. I have to keep using steroid creams just to keep it calm.I had to go to a dermatologist just to find out what was wrong with me. I was going to suggest aquaphor also, it works to keep it soft, but there may be something else wrong.There are all kind of skin disorders that act similar, but you need to find out what it is to treat it.

I've had this problem most of my adult life.
at one time early on it was on both hands, peeling splitting & bleeding
then it seemed to go to my right hand only
doctors could not cure it
went to get treated for toenail fungus and boom, hand cleared up
moist smooth soft skin
stayed away for abouy 6 months and came back
went back to doctor, showed him my hand, suggested we try same meds again & boom, hand cleared up again
well 6months has gone by & guess what in 2 days time hand is peeling & cracking again, time for more meds. Ketoconazole is what I took
Maybe try suggesting to your doctor and see what they say
It's worked for me