I'm an 18 year old female. Since around puberty, I have occasionally gotten painful, swollen blisters on my vulva. I asked my old doctor about them once and she immediately dismissed it as an ingrown hair without looking at it or asking many questions.
They are usually about the size of a pencil eraser. The sore is mostly reddish, with a faint lightening at the top. It is relatively soft to the touch, although if I press on it I can feel the pressure in it. It is painful to the touch and I can feel it rubbing against clothing throughout the day, especially when sitting.
I've become more concerned about these nuisances lately because I now have reason to fear passing something to my boyfriend. I want to understand what's going on before having vaginal sex, so that if I'm saddled with a disease, he doesn't have to be, too.
The placement of the sores, always towards the back of the vulva on the exterior, would give me more reason to believe that they are caused by an irritation from sitting too long on an ingrowing hair or similar.

I guess I'm looking to know whether anyone recognizes these symptoms from medical practice or personal experience. What was your diagnosis? I do plan on getting checked out soon but couldn't get an appointment for a few weeks and this has been bothering me.

Thanks.