I had my nipples pierced over 5 months ago and about 3-4 weeks ago, I experienced itchy nipples. My right one is more prominant than the other one. I have not changed any soaps or detergents and what-not. The only thing I have changed is my piercings from what I was pierced with to new ones. My left nipple itches, but like I said, my right one is predominantly more itchy than the left. There is no history of breast cancer in my family; and I have worked in the medical field for 14 years now & have not heard of this symptom to be a sign of breast cancer or anything. There are no lumps or bumps or redness or any abnormalities to my breasts or nipples. This just has me a little concerned and worried. Should I be concerned or should I just go and have it checked by my doctor? I am only 35; 36 this September, so I am not due for a mammogram for a few years. If you could please help me with this or if there is someone out there that has experienced this, and has gotten checked and had nothing to worry about, let me know!! Thank You!!

Yes, the itchy feeling can just be a sign of healing. I had my nipples pierced in early December and after about 10 days I noticed they were quite itchy. This lasted for at least another 10 days. Then it started to go away and be replaced with a pulling sensation. My piercer advised me to switch from horseshoes to straight barbells. I then had itchy nipples again at just after a week. Each time I changed jewelry (had to a 2nd time due to the barbells being too short and loosing the balls in the flesh) I get itchy feelings.
I also experienced this when healing ear piercings... for me, it's usually the most sensitive body parts that itch the most when healing a piercing.
I wouldn't worry about it. :-)

-Pierced EMT Girl

I have had my nipples pierced for 5 years now and I still find that they are getting itchy and I don't know why. I have not changed anything like soaps, detergents or even the rings for that matter.. Is this NORMAL??? I am not worried about it just curious

I had my nipples pierced 3 different times and it seems that the right one never fully healed. After talking to a piercer and her telling me to use A & D ointment on it, the "wound" got better. Then the areola under the balls on the right side started to get dry and crack. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and then put some A & D on it, the next day it was fine. But any time the ointment was not on there, they would get dry again. So I took the rings out completely. (Guess I am not meant to have them pierced) but the aerola is still very dry, I have been keeping it clean, but I am not sure how to heal it.

you are actually not to use alcohol polysporin or peroxide on a new piercing it disrupts the healing processes of scar tissue,, use an anti bacterial soap medical grade then with a sea salt soak for 5-7 minutes 2 a day

They gave you the wrong remedies to use your supposed to use saline wound wash

Don't ever clean a piercing with alcohol or peroxide! Don't ever use ointment either these can cause irritation and ruin your piercings healing process! Your piercer should've informed you to clean with non-scented anti bacterial soap in the shower and cleanse with a saline solution(wound wash) 2x daily can be found in Walgreens Walmart or CVS... The less touching the better do not turn your barbells or rings! Don't pick at them LEAVE THEM BE! That was my biggest struggle but honest to God it makes the healing process go smoother and more quickly! It takes anywhere from 3-9 months to completely heal so ideally it'd be best not to change out jewelry until they are healed.

I notice mine get itchy after long shifts, especially when I have on a tighter sports bra. I talked to my piercer awhile back due to them not healing and he gave me longer barbells due to the fact that when my breast are compressed a lot it flattens out the nipples. Haven't had any itchiness or issues since.
- also pierced emt :)

Coconut oil works wonders!!

Yes its normal.. could be a reaction to a certain type of metal maybe

From what i understand a sports bra isnt good for the piercings.. former emt here lol

If you use alcohol it just makes the healing process longer and it's very drying

No wonder my belly button would never heal and was red raw haha just got my nips done only washing with saline soloution there's so itchy but from reading I see it just healing :) thanks. Here my nipples smell since I got them done is that normal it could becos im still lactating after aging my baby he's 4 months old

Change your rings to a better quality material. Implant grade steel, titanium and real gold are options.

Use green tea bags